How do u remove tail shaft?

1lowdiesel

I'm in the middle of taking the 2wd tail off b/c I'm swapping it for a 4wd, and for the life of me I can't get the damn thing off. I have the bolts out and vb out and it's just loose, I can pick it up about an inch but that's it.

What else needs to come off?

Thanks in advance.
Kyle

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Rotate the output shaft with a set of channel locks or vice grips. Sounds like your hung up on the park sprag.

Also the selectable spacer that set on the apply piston goes with the OD unit, not the trans.

Ok cool should I make sure its in park?

And which is the select spacer?

Got it. Just needed a a few good yanks. Thanks

182268_1540879530025_1476030013_2272377_5014060_n.jpg

The spacer sets on #960, you want to make sure to use the one from the unit that you are PUTTING on your transmission.

The reason you use the one that is w/ the od unit your putting on which would be the (4x4) unit is b/c they make 3 different sizes. The one that comes w/ the OD unit is spec'd for the clutch clearences in the OD pack.

I've seen guys wonder why their OD unit was not mating up w/ the case and brute it on, and well to their suprise that spacer was to thick and their when your clutches, same goes if its to thin. You can use a simple caliper to mic them both.

awesome thanks. Does the spacer just come out with the od unit? Or do you have to physically take it out of the trans case.

The reason you use the one that is w/ the od unit your putting on which would be the (4x4) unit is b/c they make 3 different sizes. The one that comes w/ the OD unit is spec'd for the clutch clearences in the OD pack.

I've seen guys wonder why their OD unit was not mating up w/ the case and brute it on, and well to their suprise that spacer was to thick and their when your clutches, same goes if its to thin. You can use a simple caliper to mic them both.

They make more than 3 sizes of that spacer IIRC, If I do remember they make 3 sizes of the ring that goes on the intermediate.

awesome thanks. Does the spacer just come out with the od unit? Or do you have to physically take it out of the trans case.

It is resting on the apply piston. It is just a large machined washer. Many times it will stay in the apply piston.

It will be attached to the piston #960 in the picture, after you remove the one that is currently in it, use vaseline to put the one from the 4x4 unit to hold it in place during installation.

Is this an RH or RE transmission?

ok i gotcha now, yea i remember seeing that on there and thinking how nothing holds it on other than the fluid.

The selectable spacer is important because it releases the overdrive/direct clutch. The overdrive piston pushes into the overdrive case and releases the overdrive/direct clutch at the same time it applies the overdrive/brake clutch.

If the spacer is too thin, the brake clutch will be applied before the direct clutch is fully released, this will cause bind-up and premature wear of both clutches.

If the spacer is too thick, the direct clutch will release too soon and it will put added stress on the overrunning sprag-like one-way roller clutch behind it although it won't cause any noticeable problems until several thousand miles later (if ever) when the overrunning clutch fails.

How would you go about getting or measuring for a new spacer if you don't have the one from the other trans.

Back