How Hard does your built trans shift?

DieseLife

How hard does your built trans shift racing wide open with the tc locked through your shifts?

I have a manual vb in my 48re at 185psi constant pressure. I lockup the tc in 2nd when racing and run in 4wd. Its a BANGER when it shifts 2-3 and 3-4. I did not drill the vb holes at all for firmer shifting either, left them as is. Just seems to hard to me, I thought about lowering the pressure to 165 or so but don't want any slipping and burning up clutches.

I wouldn't say mine shifts hard, it's more firm than anything.

Locked shifts at full tilt will always be relatively violent.

It will when locked. Mine will chirp all 4 on shifts.

If I made enough power to do that with my 37's I'm sure mine would too.

As soon as I can move the shifter to the next position, it is shifted. It's damn near instant, so the shift is hard.

Mine feel firm but I think that has a lot to do with your trans mount, and your rear suspension. If you have slop in your system, you're going to get more of a jerk and less of a desired shift.

Mine is a real banger. Just seems to hard of a shift and not a nice firm shift. I need to find a way to tame it down a little

Do you have a 47re or 48re? If it's a 47, try and adjust the TV cable up by the engine.

Race truck is firm, but not violent like some I have ridden in.

This is where someone like Goerend can perform wonders. Nice/flawless shifts all of the time. I have ridden in trucks with VB modified by folks, they slam all the time, or can't keep the trans from burning up.

I would describe My firepunk locked 2-3 and 3-4 shifts as firm. Not really harsh or bang shift just solid firm shifts.

This is where someone like Goerend can perform wonders. Nice/flawless shifts all of the time. I have ridden in trucks with VB modified by folks, they slam all the time, or can't keep the trans from burning up.

X ' s 2 on Daves transmissions. Thanks Steve B

My Darren Morrison manual vb trans has tight firm shifts. No slamming harsh shifts. Just fast and super firm.

When I had just my suncoast VB and billet single my 2-3 locked shifts would make you look in the mirror for the tranny. But now after the magical touch from rob (MAXTORQ) it's nice and firm locked shifts 2-4.

I don't have a tv cable, its a constant pressure manual vb.

For the 3-4 shift i plan to try a very light spring or remove the spring all together in the 3-4 accumulator. The firmer the spring the harder the shift on the 3-4 accum from my reading, its operation is opposite to that of the 1-2 accumulator in terms or springs firmness.

Not sure how to tame down the 2-3 shift yet.

Leave it alone.

Start by turning the PR valve out all the way and then in two turns. Then drive.

Most mistakes in setting up a VB are made here. Too much and the Trans will tear your head off, too little and it seems like a slush bucket.

Last edited:
Ah didnt realize it had an effect on a constant pressure manual. I'll Def give that a shot first thanks

When people ask how our transmission shift..."firm and postive" No bang shifts, and they definitely are not lazy.

I have a fully build goerend 48re with dry shift enhanswer in my truck, 06 fairly built and it shifts like a stock new tranny unless my foots to the rug. Wide open pegged boost gauge it has a firm shift NOT a teeth shattering hard shift

Back