How important is being at class weight?

DMDP

Quitter
Just curious to what some people have to say. Our 2.6 class in MAPA is a 8500 lbs class. Last weekend i hung 1500 lbs and was still only at 8300. I own 1k of the weights i had on the front and had to borrow the other 500 lbs. so just hanging what are mine would put me around 7800. I know it is a disadvantage but how much so? Im havin problems gettin the rpm's up in 4th and was just thinking about running a little light and seeing if it will help me stay on top of the turbo. So how important do you think being at class weight is?

410s. 4th low is just a little high and my next gear down is 3rd low (not 2nd high like dodges). And its too slow. 4 th gear low with 4.88s would be perfect for me i just cant afford to do a gear swap right now

4th low is a 10.8 final (too fast), 3rd low is a 17.4 final(too slow), but 2nd high range would work nice at 12.05 final, which if you could sustain 4k rpms would put you in the sweet spot at 32mph, but it is harder on the transmission.

Granted this is tractors but a few guys around me keep their 1466 real light and run a fast gear and it works for them quite well. Worth a shot.

Posted via tapatalk from the International Space Station

Sled pulling is all about setup. If you're going to spin the wheels very fast you have the tendency to blow past the point of traction, tread design can change this as well as truck weight, weight distribution, track condition, etc. I would try a higher gear with a lighter truck and add/remove weight depending on track condition etc. It's takes experience and commons sense to get the setup right, watch other truck or tractors...read the track!

Yes if your lucky you'll pull last, you get to watch the others and often the track improves. You just got to play with it, get to know your truck real well.

Posted via tapatalk from the International Space Station

4th low is a 10.8 final (too fast), 3rd low is a 17.4 final(too slow), but 2nd high range would work nice at 12.05 final, which if you could sustain 4k rpms would put you in the sweet spot at 32mph, but it is harder on the transmission.

I got all my final ratios for my zf 5 speed through my bw4407 at home. I just got sent to the hospital by work cause i had a hydralic line fail and fluid hit my arm. So when i get home ill post all my info. My 2nd high is actually faster then my 4th low. Goes 3rd low, 4th low, then 2nd high

410s. 4th low is just a little high and my next gear down is 3rd low (not 2nd high like dodges). And its too slow. 4 th gear low with 4.88s would be perfect for me i just cant afford to do a gear swap right now

Yea 4.88's is Ideal I run 4.88's and run in 4th

interested in the weight question as well and how close to the maximum makes a difference.

I got all my final ratios for my zf 5 speed through my bw4407 at home. I just got sent to the hospital by work cause i had a hydralic line fail and fluid hit my arm. So when i get home ill post all my info. My 2nd high is actually faster then my 4th low. Goes 3rd low, 4th low, then 2nd high

Ok im just going off info i found online for the gear ratios and the tcase ratio i found was 2.64

Text me tomorrow with the ratios in your trans/tcase so i can add them to my gear ratio calculator

Wait, you get to go to the hospital when hydraulic fluid hits your arm? Like regular 134 hydraulic fluid?

Wait, you get to go to the hospital when hydraulic fluid hits your arm? Like regular 134 hydraulic fluid?
Long story short and simple. I work for our local power company and was pressing a connector on the end of a cable in a substation and the press I was using failed. Well the hose did. And where the hole blew out was aimed right at my shoulder. so my shoulder took 10,000 psi of hydraulic pressure:doh: felt like someone punched me as hard as they could on my shoulder. It went through 2 layers of clothes and just barley broke the skin. I said I was fine but being such a big name company and crazy about safety. I got taken to the hospital. I didn't get injected with any fluid thank god. Just got a nasty bruise

Ok so back to ratios. My final drive ratios Ive calculated are as follow:

(gear, high, low)

1st, 20.83, 56.65
2nd, 10.70, 29.11
3rd, 6.27, 17.06
4th, 4.10, 11.15
5th, 3.16, 8.59

Tj, heres all my info

Zf547 mid ratio:

1st 5.08
2nd 2.60
3rd 1.53
4th 1.0
5th .77

Bw4407 transfer case
High 1:1
Low 2.72:1

4.10 gears

One last thing to keep in consideration is I'm only running 4k gov springs right now. I can't afford all the safety equipment needed to turn higher r's. So I know thats hurting me too. Hopefully I can do something bout that soon...

Here ya go this got the Zf 6 spd ratios in it, you can change ratios to what you got. Open with Microsoft word.

Attachments

• RPM calc 5r110-zf6 pullers.zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Glad your OK. High pressure hydraulics are no joke and can cause all kinds of badness as I am sure you are aware. Definately better to be on the safe side.

im going to try being the min wieght of 7500lbs my first few hooks (hoping it shows me the week links right away) and see what/how the truck reacts and what the gopro's are showing me underneath...

Back