How many sub 4K rpm street trucks did NOT upgrade valve springs

UNBROKEN

Ezekiel 25:17
Just like the title says....who does NOT run upgraded springs?

2nd question...everyone says you just HAVE to have upgraded springs. Why?

Just stirring up some discussion......

Well i have the opportunity to put new valves in my truck :soap: because i ran with out upgraded valve springs for a while.

I'll post some pictures later. :nail:

On edit: USED valve springs....LOL im a broke mofo

i did, but know of lots of 700+ 4k+ trucks that came out of relentless that didnt have them.

at one time i thought it was a conspiracy. springs didnt start getting popular in street trucks til smarty came out with the better tunes. thats because bob was telling people they needed springs and jsut so happened to be a F1 dealer wasnt he?

I run stiffer springs because under "high" boost, the stock springs can float!

Buddry of mine picked up 100ftlb of torque just swapping springs. He was running 60psi of boost. Seen pistons with valve marks using stock springs with high boost on a couple of VP engines. I did mine cause I was doing a cam and wanted the piece of mind.

i used to run mine to 4k all the time with no springs, have em now because i had the head worked over with O-rings and stuff

Above 55#'s I've heard valves floating on the dyno with stock springs

i think its the high RPM's combined with high boost that causes them to float, just an observation of mine

I dont have them...I dont run those rpms either but have run over 80 psi...

Every CR I've seen around here pushing 45psi over 3500rpms has kissed a valve at some point. All have done HG with head removal and seen the aftermath.

I run stiffer springs because under "high" boost, the stock springs can float!
What's "high boost" ?
Buddry of mine picked up 100ftlb of torque just swapping springs. He was running 60psi of boost. Seen pistons with valve marks using stock springs with high boost on a couple of VP engines. I did mine cause I was doing a cam and wanted the piece of mind.
Same question....
Above 55#'s I've heard valves floating on the dyno with stock springs
Heard like with your ears or heard of it happening?
i think its the high RPM's combined with high boost that causes them to float, just an observation of mine
Still looking for that number that means "high boost"
I dont have them...I dont run those rpms either but have run over 80 psi...
I'd say that's pretty high boost...why aren't you floating your valves?

Thing is...I've "heard" all theses reasons....nobody has ever quantified what "high boost" is...or what magic number these things are necessary.

Every CR I've seen around here pushing 45psi over 3500rpms has kissed a valve at some point. All have done HG with head removal and seen the aftermath.

Better answer...but is it an rpm issue first or a boost issue first?
I floated the valves BAD in my old 6.0...beautiful indents from all 4 valves in all 8 holes. It was completely caused by over revving the motor. Boost had nothing to do with it.
Sure.....at some point boost can blow open the intake valves...but WHAT point?

I'm gonna argue that sub 60psi and 3500rpm or less motors do not need upgraded springs.
Discuss....

Last edited:
I'll spend $500 any day to KNOW that the valves are being shut and I'm making as much power as I should be! Just my opinion :ft:

Better answer...but is it an rpm issue first or a boost issue first?
I floated the valves BAD in my old 6.0...beautiful indents from all 4 valves in all 8 holes. It was completely caused by over revving the motor. Boost had nothing to do with it.
Sure.....at some point boost can blow open the intake valves...but WHAT point?

I'm gonna argue that sub 60psi and 3500rpm or less motors do not need upgraded springs.Discuss....

i can agree with that, i dont think there IS a magic number that at that certain RPM/boost level every truck will float valves, every truck is different, so that can only mean the limitation of their stock parts is different too. no?

I ran 68psi on my 99 24v without any additional rpm's than stock. With stock valve springs we could hear the valves floating on the dyno at around 55psi and above. It wasn't the best feeling I've ever had and soon after upgraded to much stronger springs! I'm sure spring seat pressure will vary depending on the year and make of truck.

I'll spend $500 any day to KNOW that the valves are being shut and I'm making as much power as I should be! Just my opinion :ft:

Good point, but shouldn't we be able by now to choose what spring pressure we want? Why does a guy with a low rpm low boost motor need higher pressures like a high boost, high rpm truck?

I ran 68psi on my 99 24v without any additional rpm's than stock. With stock valve springs we could hear the valves floating on the dyno at around 55psi and above. It wasn't the best feeling I've ever had and soon after upgraded to much stronger springs! I'm sure spring seat pressure will vary depending on the year and make of truck.

My CR has seen over 70psi a few times, generally 65ish though with stock valve springs, I've never heard anything I'd call valves smacking the pistons. LOL
I don't run a high rpm tune though.

What's "high boost" ?

Same question....

Heard like with your ears or heard of it happening?

Still looking for that number that means "high boost"

I'd say that's pretty high boost...why aren't you floating your valves?

Thing is...I've "heard" all theses reasons....nobody has ever quantified what "high boost" is...or what magic number these things are necessary.

I believe on 2nd gen 24v's, the stock spring seat pressure is like 52#'s on the bench. IDK if 3rd gen springs are stiffer, and I can't offer any advise about the other makes. Hope this helps

Valve float doesn't mean its hitting the piston, yet, it's just not slamming all the way shut

I'm sure someone knows, I can't remember ever seeing that info though.
60lb 12v springs are 110 total IIRC so that would be 50 stock I suppose.
I could be wrong on those numbers too....not a big 12v guy. I like electronics. LOL

Back