How many times can you reuse o-rings on a head?

cliff-1972

First I'll start by telling you all why I'm having to ask this question.I have had transmission issue why my E4OD for the last 4 months or so.Broke the O/D plantary splines,front pump and O/D clutches to being with.Had that fixed.I reinstalled it and 800 miles later it quite locking up the T/C.The trans builder wanted it at his shop,so I took it to him to replace solenoid pack.It took a week to do so.Went to pick the truck and as they backed it out of their shop noticed coolant leaking from under the truck.On closer inspection it turned out to be the head gasket.They said they only drove it 2 miles,but it was actually 12 miles.They had dogged my truck and blew the head gasket.Of course they don't know how that could have happened.Anyhow,on to my question.

When I first put the engine in the truck I didn't do the necessary hot/cold re-torques so I blew the head gasket.Re-did the gasket with proper re-torques and been trouble free for over 20k with boost at max of 72 psi.

Question.Can I reuse the o-ring again if there appears to be no damage to it?Also how about the ARP head studs.Do you all think they will still be ok after so many heat cycles and retorques.The are just stanard ARP 12V studs.

I can't give you an experienced answer on the head gasket/studs, but I think it's time to find another shop, not just because of the head gasket, but the fact that they apparently can't sort out a transmission.

I'd still query them as to why the head gasket was leaking when you picked it up.
If they say it was leaking when you brought it, ask them why they drove it 2 (or 12) miles knowing the head gasket was leaking.

Mark.

Measure protrusion on them. If they're still flat at .011", they're good to go. If they vary more than .001, I'd re-oring them. It's a fairly tedious, easy task.

I will check the protursion for sure.Thanks

I was not leaking when I drove it to them or I wouldn't have driven it.They just don't have any respect for their customers property.I didn't want to leave it there to being because of all the hard work I have done to it.All they see is a compound turbo diesel and are like "man lets see what this thing can do".I would have never had them repair my trans in the first place,but my original builder has passed away.The O/D plantary was the only not upgraded by him at the time so that's what fauled.Also,because I am unable to drive the truck right now.I don't know if the trans is even fixed right.

Update.The trans shop paid me half of what a diesel shop would charge to do a head gasket.I am also,going to upgrade to ARP 625's.I haven't removed to head yet hopefully this Friday I'll get that done.

:clap: glad they decided to help, it's always a gamble leaving a hopped up vehicle with a stranger.

:clap: glad they decided to help, it's always a gamble leaving a hopped up vehicle with a stranger.

Very true, I usually disconnect the AFC reference line when lending my truck out.... most guys figure out the valet switch so that mod doesn't work anymore...

Very true, I usually disconnect the AFC reference line when lending my truck out.... most guys figure out the valet switch so that mod doesn't work anymore...

Very good advice!

I got the head removed today.It blew at the #5 cylinder.I half way checked checked the o-ring protrusion with a flat edge and feeler gauge and it looks to be .009-.010.I'll get a protrusion gauge from work Monday and re-check it.Block and head are straight and flat though less than .001.

Back