How much water can a water pump push

The motorhome pump sounds interesting. "normal" pumps feed a aftercooler and a water cooled air compressor at the same time in some applications.

I'd like to drill and tap a 1" npt port right close to the water pump to provide more gpm and closer to ambient coolant than the factory port.

Something tells me though that even if the stock style water pump flows 3000+gph, that once I add the w/a system to the mix, it's not going to get even half of what it needs if it's being shared with the engine system too.

This pump is looking more and more promising

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wp430s/overview/

https://www.meziere.com/images/product/information/WP430.pdf

Found the flow chart on yellowbullet, hopefully it's legit. Last time I read through this thread, the mechanical pump info was in it yet.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564702&page=8

Here's my logic/math for the pump rpm:
If I could figure out the pulleys, I'd drive it at 1.3x crank speed.
While hauling at 2400rpm/20-40psi boost, the pump will flow 40gpm @ 8-10psi, which is great.
While racing at 3500rpm/100psi boost, the pump will flow 64gpm @ 20psi, which is really great.

Precision states this cooler should get 55gpm at 1000hp, so I'm overkilling it, but not enough to hurt anything. I'm hoping the extra flow and pressure will make up for the smaller water lines and the 90* fittings I have to use for now. I may experiment with different pulleys and see if it has any effect on my medium horsepower setup.

photo_zpsaad81b67.jpg

Last edited:
Dodge on the left, bus on the right

Attachments

• 20150713_173248.jpg
    20150713_173248.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150713_173229.jpg
    20150713_173229.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
Aftermarket pumps look similar, without the ring..

I really like the pump idea. Should be strong enough to do everything you can Mike.
And not Peter out.. just comes the mounting process. But that electric pump you have should last longer than what it is

Aftermarket pumps look similar, without the ring..

I really like the pump idea. Should be strong enough to do everything you can Mike.
And not Peter out.. just comes the mounting process. But that electric pump you have should last longer than what it is

I'll text you pictures in a bit. Jory pointed out that the brushes are over half gone, with only 6 months of use on them.

I'm gonna try that rv pump first, until I get the vw turbo swapped, then get that mech pump if the rv pump isn't doing as well as I hope.

That bus pump is just the early production pump. I've seen a pile of them in mid to late 80's equipment, some of which used no engine coolant for coolers, heaters, ect.

That bus pump is just the early production pump. I've seen a pile of them in mid to late 80's equipment, some of which used no engine coolant for coolers, heaters, ect.

So does that mean it doesn't flow more than a dodge 6bt pump? Don't just leave us hanging like that.

It does flow more, they were redesigned to actually reduce flow to reduce freeze plug problems and head gasket seepage.

Ok excellent. Hopefully the extra "draw" on the system will balance out the extra flow/pressure. This might work out great.

Yeah, I was going to send you a text, but I haven't opened the box yet. Bastards actually STUFFED it in my mailbox, just pulled it out this morning on the way to work. Gonna go get a gasket and some paint and swap them tomorrow.

I just removed my factory w2a it was plumed into the engine coolant the reason I removed was high boost (90lbs) runs the engine temp would get too high and hang there too long for my liking went back to a2a for now till I run an external w2a and independent water source

Food for thought

if you a high flow direct fit pump use a vp pump or 6.7 pump

Back