How Not to go Racing

weweld

After lunch on Friday we started out my putting new tires on the race trailer and ended up having the adjust the axles for the new tires. The trailing arms are splined on the axle so they can be moved. The trailer is about 10 years old so the splines were a little RUSTY and 6 hours later they were done. That raised the trailer about 1 1/4" , so far so good.

I then turned by efforts to mounting the new slicks which was not to bad either , removed the 32 screws holding the tires to the rims and dismounted the tires. After 2 hours of trying to get the slicks mounted and inflated they were holding air and the 32 screws were reinstalled.

I then turned my attention to Stroked Lightning , time to get her all cleaned up and loaded in the trailer. I backed her in the shop and left it idling to warm it up and make sure everything was ready. Thats when I noticed I still had a small oil leak at the front crankshaft seal. So I pulled it apart and installed a new one. Restarted the motor to check for leaks and let it warm up again upon hitting the throttle a couple of quick hard ones I saw a mist spray out of the front of the truck. Well there must have been a hairline crack in the cover from from one of the previous oil pump breaks and it then decided to let loose. It is now 10:00 pm and I take apart my spare motor to get the front engine cover off and go install it on the truck , all goes well and at 2:30 am I restart the truck check for leaks give it a couple of throttle snaps all is fine. I go to the back of the truck to disconnect the battery charger and when I return to the front of the truck all HECK has happened.

The oil line fitting broke off the oil cooler and has sprayed the motor the hood the cowling and cowling vents the windshield and of coarse the floor with a couple of gallons of BLACK DIESEL MOTOR OIL. After shutting off the motor I quickly grabbed the floor dry and started pouring it all around the front of the truck to build a dam to control the oil spill. I stood there looking at the mess and thinking back on ever thing that had taken place in the last 14 hours and said to myself OK Tim I am not going racing you win. He threw ever thing at me to tell me not to go but me being as stubborn as he was I just kept at it not letting these small set backs stop me from racing. I tuned out the lights and went home and will return today to start the MASSIVE CLEAN UP.

The pics are in the Stroked Lightning gallery , the pics were taken about 15 minutes after it happened so a lot of the oil had drained off already

http://www.socaps.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4900/cat/21013

Last edited:
at least it did not suck it in the intake...................

good luck with the mess

Bummer - you got me all hard up. Thought I was going to be able to go online and say "we have a 10-second Ford out there". Dodge has some, Chevy's too.

Maybe Icemonkey. He's going to the track today.

Damn Gene, I told you to stop typing and start working on the truck. BTW, how do you like the turbo?

DJ

Last edited:
The turbo so far it WILD hope to get it fixed and go to the track tomorrow

Dammit Gene, that sounds like some of my luck LOL LOL

Have fun with the cleanup :D and I REALLY hope your luck improves :D

6 hours with a pressure washer I was able to load it in the trailer so I can get her home and spend another 12 hours tomorrow cleaning up the rest of the mess. That was 2 gallons of oil pumped out of that thing , it was a heck of a mess.

What fitting exactly was it that let loose and I ask just so I never see such a thing happen (crosses fingers) man that is a bummer.

Back