How to find an IH cast 5.9 block

jedeka

Is there a certain year these blocks were produced? Othe than finding the Navistar symbol on the front of the block, are there other ways of knowing without tearing a motor down?

They usually have a bunch of raised dots on the side of the block, behind the starter. Though that can also be a non IH I have been told.

I had 2 of them, both were auto trans trucks.

Ive got three...a 91 auto, 93 manual, and a 94 manual. All were paired with IH cast heads.

Ive have a couple they all had the IH diamond on them under the timing cover.. mine does not have the starter..

Is there a certain year these blocks were produced? Othe than finding the Navistar symbol on the front of the block, are there other ways of knowing without tearing a motor down?

Look in the classifieds, I have one for sale. LOL

Higher nickel I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It is reported that is the case, but I really question the scientific method and sample size that was used to determine this.

I'm not sure that the "IH" castings are better. I had a head and block with the telltale logo on them. The head cracked every valve seat as well as completely through on #1 cylinder between the valves. The block broke a chunk off where the motor mounts bolt up. I was the only one to work on this engine, and every bolt was torqued to spec. This was on a mild 2.6 puller with reasonable exhaust temps. So I would say they are not any better, someone started a rumor and it took off.

Mine was behind the gear case. When I get home I'll post some pictures. Mine was a 98 12v storm block

Mine is a 98 storm block from an automatic cab and chassis truck.

Rick

HERE'S Where the IH symbol is located
[ame]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo275/HIGHTECHRAM/POOTerandmotor003.jpg[/ame]

Mine was a 96 manual trans. It cracked at all the mail bolt holes.

If the original head is still paired with the block, then there is the symbol on the head next to the rear lift eye.

I'm not sure that the "IH" castings are better. I had a head and block with the telltale logo on them. The head cracked every valve seat as well as completely through on #1 cylinder between the valves. The block broke a chunk off where the motor mounts bolt up. I was the only one to work on this engine, and every bolt was torqued to spec. This was on a mild 2.6 puller with reasonable exhaust temps. So I would say they are not any better, someone started a rumor and it took off.

probably some "Ford owns cummings" powerstroke douche :D

my block came from a 94 auto.

i heard that they were cast and machined to tighter specs because cummins inspected them closer. cummins could not risk having lesser quailty part.

Back