how to leave at the same amount of boost every time?

toolmanoffroad

Dont tread on me
Ok, is there a way (hopefully cheap) that I can set my trans brake, and only be able to build say 30lbs of boost untill I release the brake and launch? It is WAY to easy to go from 10 to 45lbs and not be able to watch the tree for a good reaction time.

I was thinking about a solinoid valve attached to my AFC with a small hole for it to bleed off. Im not using my wastgate, could I use it along with a solinoid valve and a small tank of compressed air? I really need to come up with a way so I can leave at 30 to 35lbs every time and not have to try to watch the gauge.... thanks for any help you guys can give...:Cheer:

Ok, is there a way (hopefully cheap) that I can set my trans brake, and only be able to build say 30lbs of boost untill I release the brake and launch? It is WAY to easy to go from 10 to 45lbs and not be able to watch the tree for a good reaction time.

I was thinking about a solinoid valve attached to my AFC with a small hole for it to bleed off. Im not using my wastgate, could I use it along with a solinoid valve and a small tank of compressed air? I really need to come up with a way so I can leave at 30 to 35lbs every time and not have to try to watch the gauge.... thanks for any help you guys can give...:Cheer:

Dude ! you can't automate everything or racing wouldn't be any fun or fair. IMO, you have to bring all you got and hope you're a good enough driver to win :) :rockwoot:

I think he's mostly trying to not have to rebuild rear ends so often...

Could you hook of a light to light up if you go over 30psi? At least make it easier to watch both of them

Could you hook up some kind of buzzer that goes off when you hit your targeted boost? that way if you don't hear the buzzer you know you have fallen off your mark.

How about an electronic boost controller set to engage when the brake is applied? Hook it up so the wategate will be open for staging then close when you take your foot off the brake.

I'd like to have the same thing for RPM's but, no one has made a controller that will work on the Can Bus ECM. In talking to Michael with Isspro.... he says their company may be working on a controller that could be out next year.

I guess you could rig a hobbs switch to a buzzer or light to come on at that boost level.

Only thing about the buzzer or light is that it just takes such a small amount of go pedal to make it go from just starting to make 10lbs to O CRAP im leaving at 45!!! :bang :bang Im going to do some looking around today, and play with a few ideas.... for right now what ever I do, has to be on the super cheepo side, or it will become a winter project. Im thinking about a throttle stop.... hmmm?

And yes Tex, its so I can keep the pinions in one piece..... even though the new one thats on the way should be BULLET PROOF!! :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

So it sounds like you got a 35 spline Strange Pro Gear set coming........? Ive to broke a few of the standard 28 spline stuff lately, the Pro Gear is much softer and not so britle, they ware much faster also but thier suppose to be the ticket, i also did away with the daytona style pinion support and with with the huge billet Strange piece, that back bearing will help alot with keeping the pinion in place. Good luck!
And by the way: At least you have a dang brake! They still have not sent me back my unit with the brake in it, the trucks running good w/o it, but i miss those killer 60's. I cant build hardly any boost off the line with the foot brake, last night i kept pushing the fronts through the lights trying, oh well, Good Luck to ya, are you going to make it to Baytown?
Ryan

30lbs of boost at launch????? woah,, what tranny are you running? How heavy is your truck? I start having problems if I try to hit 20, I pretty much launch at around 17. I try to get it set there as close as possible while I am staging, seems to work pretty good,, now I just need to work on that old R/T seems I need to sleep more at night,, lol, instead of at the start line

Kevin

What if you had a micro switch that is activated at full throttle. Have the micro switch sending power to a valet setup. Make it to where the micro switch isnt triggered until right at or close to full throttle so that the truck is in valet till the throttle is all the way down, then tune the AFC to only let it have enough fuel to build however much boost you want at the line. That way you could hold the throttle say, 3/4 the way down and then as soon as you mashed it the next little bit, it would trigger the micro switch, opening the valet letting it have full fuel. My truck will only make 30psi in valet, and i can take it way down by adjusting the AFC if i want to.

Or you could also make it to where the truck was in valet mode while the brake was pushed down and as soon as you let up on it, it would go to full power. You could use a micro switch to work it that way too. That way you could hold the throttle all the way down, then when you let off the brake, it would apply full power.

You should be able to build either of those for $100 or less.

Just some ideas

Eric

I remembered something about a valet switch, but wasnt sure how it works.... anybody have a link on how to set it up? Ill give the ol search button a workout tonight when I get some more time to play with it... I like the idea of holding down the trans brake button, and it activating "something" so I can hold the go pedal all the way down, or atleast close and not build so much boost... I would like to leave at 35 to 40 every time...

Hey morkable, it is a TH400 and the truck is 3000 or less...

stock 600, you guessed it... its gonna be a complete strange nodular center with the big pinion pro gear.. the highest one they make is a 3.40 :bang:bang Gotta get an overdrive! Oh well.. run what ya got/afford and have fun doing it... :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

How big are your tires? Do you end up with wheel spin with that much boost? Sorry about so many questions, just sounds awesome to me. A gearvendors would work awesome with that setup IMHO. I would love to work on something like that brings me back to my gasser days

Kevin

A valet setup has an electrically operated, normally closed solenoid in the boost line running to the AFC. When the solenoid gets power, it opens,letting the boost go to the AFC moving the AFC foot out of the way for the governor arm. With no power to the solenoid, the AFC foot doesent move back as you build boost,and limits your fueling. You can adjust the amount of fueling in valet mode quite a bit too, so i think it would work well.

Eric

How big are your tires? Do you end up with wheel spin with that much boost? Sorry about so many questions, just sounds awesome to me. A gearvendors would work awesome with that setup IMHO. I would love to work on something like that brings me back to my gasser days

Kevin

33x13s and its leaving in the 1.30s. I knew that I was going to need a tall tire because of the rpm limits of a diesel... I really like the th400 and im planning on a gear vendors OD for next year if Santa thinks iv been good enough. :doh: I know that everybody says that I need a lockup OD tranny, but I can build 10 spare 400s for the cost of one SunCoast unit... so I will stick with what I got untill I just have to have one, or one just falls in my lap :poke: :poke:LOL So far the tranny is all stock except for the valvebody, and and extra set of clutches... hell the converter is just a towing converter.. :hehe: oh ya, someday it gonna go BOOM real bad.... and Im just gonna blame it all on Wrongway :kick:

When you say towing convertor, are you speaking of a standard 400 13" convertor OR a allision 13" towing convertor? Mine is based off of the Ally. Where is your stall speed on the brake and also on the footbrake? 1.3x's is a killer 60', i dont see how your not in the 10's with that kind of short times and being so light? Have any giggle gas yet? Later Ryan
P.S. Hope those gears work out well for ya!
Im pretty sure i chipped another tooth or 2 last night, it making a very odd noise after the first pass.......Again......

My valet is hooked to my horn button. Hold the horn puts it in valet, let go of the horn for the go time!

When you say towing convertor, are you speaking of a standard 400 13" convertor OR a allision 13" towing convertor? Mine is based off of the Ally. Where is your stall speed on the brake and also on the footbrake? 1.3x's is a killer 60', i dont see how your not in the 10's with that kind of short times and being so light? Have any giggle gas yet? Later Ryan
P.S. Hope those gears work out well for ya!
Im pretty sure i chipped another tooth or 2 last night, it making a very odd noise after the first pass.......Again......

I would need a tach to know that....:bang:bang dont have enough fuel for nitrous, and dont want to have to run it. If I run high enough gear in the rear im breaking pinions, and if I run a low enough gear to take the strain off its running out of steam 2 to 300 feet befor the end of the 1/4. Ill have that part worked out for next year, I just need to get the same launch every time...

speeking of tach, I know that I can cut two more notches in my balancer, but how do I hook up the factory three wire pickup since I dont have any of the stock wiring? I want to use a monster tach that I have, but so far all the info on the site is a little incomplete when it comes to wiring it up... What about you stock600?? what are you running?

Back