How to manually shift a t-case???

cumminstroked

I'm working on a 99 F-250 with the 273 ESOF T-case. It has a new shift motor but it won't go into 4lo. I'm thinking the shift module is the problem. How can I manually shift my t-case into 4lo? Once I shift it to lo range will it stay in place or will it try to jump out?
Thanks in advance

I believe you should just be able to pull the motor and turn it.

You will need to find the hi/lo relays and jumper 12v across the terminals. My friends quit working and this is how we troubleshot the gen module from the motor. He didnt want to spend the money so I taped a jumper schematic under the lid of the relay box. I drew up a wiring diagram and plan on making it work with 2 switches on the dash. Not the same yr truck but the relays are on top of the wheel well near the firewall driver side

I believe you should just be able to pull the motor and turn it.

Thats what I have heard once before. Do you know which direction it is supposed to be turned or how I will be able to tell?
You will need to find the hi/lo relays and jumper 12v across the terminals. My friends quit working and this is how we troubleshot the gen module from the motor. He didnt want to spend the money so I taped a jumper schematic under the lid of the relay box. I drew up a wiring diagram and plan on making it work with 2 switches on the dash. Not the same yr truck but the relays are on top of the wheel well near the firewall driver side

Can you give more details? I assume both relays get a jumper and the switch is to just break the current??? When both the switches are in the on position it'll go through the jumper and when in off the jumper is broken???

I will have to look at the truck again. Its been a few months. But for example putting in 4hi you applied 12v to one terminal of the relay. To return to 2wd you applied 12v to a different terminal on the same relay..same process for 4lo. Im not a ford person and it took hrs googling for the correct schematic. Seems ford likes to change gem modules yearly,different locations also lol If I get time I will swing by and snap a couple pics of the relay box and my drawing for jumpering in and out of 4wd

Did you look to see if you had the relay box I'm referring to? The truck I was messing with was an early 03 build. In my google searches it seemed the 99-03 shared alot of the same wiring, at least for the esof.

I will have to look at the truck again. Its been a few months. But for example putting in 4hi you applied 12v to one terminal of the relay. To return to 2wd you applied 12v to a different terminal on the same relay..same process for 4lo. Im not a ford person and it took hrs googling for the correct schematic. Seems ford likes to change gem modules yearly,different locations also lol If I get time I will swing by and snap a couple pics of the relay box and my drawing for jumpering in and out of 4wd

Did you look to see if you had the relay box I'm referring to? The truck I was messing with was an early 03 build. In my google searches it seemed the 99-03 shared alot of the same wiring, at least for the esof.

I understand what you're saying. There are a couple relays right next to the firewall in the master cylinder area. I assume it is there. Assume anyways lol. I get what you're saying about the terminals. Its as if there is a terminal for 2hi, 4hi, and 4lo and whenever there is 12v to that terminal it engages into whatever drive is selected. Putting a jumper wire from the battery and having a switch to break the circuit. It would kind of be like bypassing the gem module and the selector switch on the dash??? I could have that completely wrong too lol. Its just a matter of knowing which terminal to charge on the relay to shift the t-case

You got it. It only needs a momentary signal. Apply 12v till it engages, remove 12v. Same for going back. I will get you a pic of the drawing I made.

Alright sounds good. Do you know if the lights on the dash will work with it as well? I would appreciate the drawing.
Thanks

You folks spend all this time and money doing a major investment by transplanting in a Cummins and bubble gum the 4x4.....just fix it the right way...

I'm not looking for a bubble gum fix... I want to know if my gem module is bad before I spend the money for a new one. For all I know I may have an issue in the case or maybe the wiring. I'm trying to use process of elimination...

A scan tool that reads CAN-Bus will tell you what is going on when you hit buttons and switches, Spend the 39.00 and get the service DVD and learn how your truck works and be a real technician and not a parts changer, It is not that hard it is what I do for a second living job....

A scan tool that reads CAN-Bus will tell you what is going on when you hit buttons and switches, Spend the 39.00 and get the service DVD and learn how your truck works and be a real technician and not a parts changer, It is not that hard it is what I do for a second living job....

A scan tool won't work too well on this truck. I am interested in this DVD you speak of. I assume its just a Ford DVD? A couple years ago I got this book that is a service manual, its helpful but it doesn't cover a lot of the things I have needed to know. Where can this DVD be found to purchase?

You still need the scan tool for the GEM module, the t-case has indicator contacts in it for each shift position to tell the module where it currently is and when to stop when the relay are called to move either forward or backward. those relays are NOT 4hi and 4low, they are forward shift and reverse shift. Just watch for the one that includes wiring and workshop, and PCED

Back