How to set an external wastegate

oldsmokey

Does anyone know how to set a wastegate in a set of twins. Do I need a boost gauge between turbos to set in correctly? Im going to be running a stocker over a ht3b and wastegating before the stocker

Wastegate on the manifold? In addition to stock wastegate? Plumbing bypass into HTB3 or exhaust? What are you trying to accomplish with the external?
Boost gauge between primary and secondary is always good info to have but trial & error pressure adjustments on external wastegate will give you the feedback (total boost) I'm guessing you seek.

RJ

Yah the gate is at the manifold. Mostly to get rid of some of the drive pressure with the small stock exhaust housing. Im going to plumb it back into the hot pipe for the 3b. Im hoping to spin the stocker to only 20-25 psi.

Bump. I dont know anything about external gates so Im all ears. Are the two threaded fittings on the side of the wastegate body for? Setting opening pressure? The only thing that I know about it is it says extreme on the top of it and I bought it from Quad at Quadzilla with all the piping for a set of twins. Not something they normally sell

Sounds like alot of work for an HT3B.

Why not just port the wastgat on the stocker?

I bought everything from Quad minus the hot pipe and 3B for under $450 shipped. It uses the stock 3rd gen manifold and an adaptor to the stocker. In the adaptor it has a port for the wastegate. Im just not sure how to make it open when I want it to. Porting the stocker might be a good idea too

Buy a data logger. Racepak preferred but if you cant, build you a drive psi recorder by useing a piece of hose. connect it to the manifold. stick a cheap tire guage in the end of the hose & make a pass. The tire guage will stay at the psi that your drive psi was. It works.

How do adjust the tention on the piston. I tried moving the set srew on the top of the gate but it didnt seem to make open much easier. Do I do anything with the treaded holes on the side of the body.

Pull the piping from the 3b to the top turbo and run the truck. Set the wastegate to limit the top turbo to ~22-25psi. Hook the primary back up and try it out. You should have a gage between the two turbos as well as a "total" boost gage. Tune it up or down by egt's and seat of the pants feeling. You need a regulator/variable boost controller to do this.

edit: If you're using a typical wastegate, it's probably got a 10lb or lighter spring in it. They're built for gassers.

It takes quite a bit to push the gate open. I understand what your saying, but I dont think im asking the right question. Im not sure how to make the wastegate open at 22-25 psi. So thats my first poblem. When I pust on the piston it doesnt seem like it would be even close to opening at 25 psi. Thanks for the help I really appriciate it. Joel

I don't even know what kind of wg that is pictured, but it looks tiny. If you're talking about pushing it open by hand then forget it, that means nothing. If you want to find out for sure you can put regulated air to it and see when it opens. I know qzilla is hard to get to, but have you asked him?

Look up a vbc or variable boost controller.

I sent Quad a pm a few days ago. He just had a baby not long ago so Im sure he is busy as ever. I wish I knew what it was too the only thing that I have to go by is it says extreme on the top and its billet. Its about the size of a pop can. Thats what I wasnt sure of, if the threaded holes on the side are for compressed air.

The one on the bottom of the diaphragm goes to boost pressure. The top goes to vacuum or in our case just vents to atmo. (unless of course you're running a wg controller)
And don't worry, he won't ever get back to you.

Research wastegates a bit, it's pretty standardized.

Based on what I see in the pictures, if you give me a call I could probably walk you through it. The number is on the website.

Back