How weak are the G56 transmissions?

has anybody else tried running gear oil? i would like to here more people chime in to see if they liked the switch. it makes sense what your saying. atf should be in an auto not a manual.

How much beter is the NV over the G and how easy is it to swap in there?

Te reason i ask is i am planning on getting a 06 MC DRW 6spd and i always thought they were alot toughter than the autos, either way im still goin with the shaker but just curious.

Has anyone tried cryo treatin the case or makin a brace for it or something.

I know Ted Sterner looked at making a brace but I don't think he ever took it any farther. He said the same thing the shafts flex and push the gears apart and boom.

I am interested in this Gear oil too hopefully others will chime in
Same here. My only concern would be if the trans wasn't designed for the thicker oil it may not run into places the ATF would. Remember gear lube is like glue when it's cold. I'm probably not going to switch either way since I've got over 80k miles without any issues and I'm not easy on it. It's also had a DD clutch for almost it's entire life. But I'm interested either way.

How much beter is the NV over the G and how easy is it to swap in there?

Te reason i ask is i am planning on getting a 06 MC DRW 6spd and i always thought they were alot toughter than the autos, either way im still goin with the shaker but just curious.

Has anyone tried cryo treatin the case or makin a brace for it or something.

I think XLR8R on here is working on the cryo stuff and some billet stuff for it!!

I've seen alot of guys puting gear oil in them but have also been told its not a good idea.
I don't think that would make a differnce in the gears flexing too much though

He is on DTR a good bit as well, if I here anything ill let ya know Robert!!

thanks because i dont hitnk its going to make it long this season!! im hoping it will at least hold up to 1 or 2 passes down the track and at least one full on dyno pull! but time will tell. i should know by the spring fling. i know ive said it before but Banshee has held the title for too long its my turn! man that guy can shift!

thanks because i dont hitnk its going to make it long this season!! im hoping it will at least hold up to 1 or 2 passes down the track and at least one full on dyno pull! but time will tell. i should know by the spring fling. i know ive said it before but Banshee has held the title for too long its my turn! man that guy can shift!

should be interesting :) You going to be over 700hp this year?

should be interesting :) You going to be over 700hp this year?

by a good bit! :nos: and a few other goodies!!!

i think my new 35's might slow me down so im gonna try and get someone to swap with at the track for some 33's

by a good bit! :nos: and a few other goodies!!!

i think my new 35's might slow me down so im gonna try and get someone to swap with at the track for some 33's

How do plan on just spraying in 5th and 6th? or some other magical setup?

mmm, maybe with a toggle switch??

Well, maybe a boost referenced switch, but somewhere high like over 30psi? is that high? I have zero experience other then what folks have written with spray and diesels, and not many talk. when can you bring spray on?

I've managed on several occasions to get "blocked" by the trans on the shift and my foot hits the floor, if it was "WOT" triggered, I would of sprayed with zero load on a miss shift, if only for a brief second. I'm sure that can't be good.

As far as boost references, I can make 50psi and not be at WOT, but what really is "WOT" on a diesel, since there's no butterfly plate and fueling amount is well, not metered by an air flow restriction devices (butterfly)..., Maybe combo of both?

Well, maybe a boost referenced switch, but somewhere high like over 30psi? is that high? I have zero experience other then what folks have written with spray and diesels, and not many talk. when can you bring spray on?

I've managed on several occasions to get "blocked" by the trans on the shift and my foot hits the floor, if it was "WOT" triggered, I would of sprayed with zero load on a miss shift, if only for a brief second. I'm sure that can't be good.

As far as boost references, I can make 50psi and not be at WOT, but what really is "WOT" on a diesel, since there's no butterfly plate and fueling amount is well, not metered by an air flow restriction devices (butterfly)..., Maybe combo of both?

I would use a combination of a WOT switch and push button on either the shifter or on the steering wheel (no fast and the furious comments) if you are just going to spray in 5th and 6th since they are longer gears. I used this setup on my old 5spd mustang since I did not have the tire or suspension to hookup the additional 175 off the line. Another option is a window switch incase you miss a gear, or are flat shifting.

Paul

I would use a combination of a WOT switch and push button on either the shifter or on the steering wheel (no fast and the furious comments) if you are just going to spray in 5th and 6th since they are longer gears. I used this setup on my old 5spd mustang since I did not have the tire or suspension to hookup the additional 175 off the line. Another option is a window switch incase you miss a gear, or are flat shifting.

Paul

I understand that perfectly and makes sense for a 5th and 6th gear perspective. I've though about the idea of spray. Maybe next year.

Im not sure id use Gear ol in a manual trans as its not what it was designed for, but you gotta look at it like this. Gear oil makes its way through the diffs to all the nooks and crannys just fine(although a diff is no where near as comlicated as a trans).

If i were to upgrade from ATF which is meant for automatics id go wth something from royal purple or somewhere like that that has designed a lube specifically for te manual trans. Thats just my opinion though.

Im not sure id use Gear ol in a manual trans as its not what it was designed for, but you gotta look at it like this. Gear oil makes its way through the diffs to all the nooks and crannys just fine(although a diff is no where near as comlicated as a trans).

If i were to upgrade from ATF which is meant for automatics id go wth something from royal purple or somewhere like that that has designed a lube specifically for te manual trans. Thats just my opinion though.

i think some folks just mixed up the terms for gearoil.. I'd do the syncromesh from amsoil, it's a thinner oil. I think it's close to 5w-30

Back