Hp improvement ? Wh1c swapped out for he351cw

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
160 pump
4k gsk
60lb valve springs
026 dv's
Rebuilt 215 injectors -(5x10s)
No fuel plate, afc mods for travel and the housing is sitting in the middle of its adjustment , spring has some tension on it.
Rack plug
Ofv spring mod -20 psi wot ( procomp pusher pump is on the list)
16.5* timing
Racked barrels
Wh1c - divider drilled to vent both sides -3/4" hole
3" straight pipe turbo back
Fresh 47rh/ slightly better than stock converter

Hopefully 300 hp or more.

I just picked up a clean he351cw and I have been reading about some people getting well over 400 hp with them. I rarely tow and when I do it's a small trailer I haul the trash to the landfill.

Any estimates on the above setup with the 351 and a procomp black pusher pump to up the fuel pressure? After winter is over I'm going to up the timing as well, maybe 19-21*
Really want to get into the 13s

Last edited:
I'd say you need more injector, but that's just me. I did 325 on stock 160 injectors and an hx35...did 415 on 5x14's with an hy35.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be picking up some dap 370s later on.

Pump work so far -
4k gsk
026 delivery valves
Washers flipped inside the afc
Afc arm ground for added travel
Rack plug
Barrels rotated.

There is a pump shop in this state and he said he would balance my pump. 150$

I'd say you'd definitely be at 400 easy with a good set of 370's and that charger.

I have a reg cab, long bed , Tc lock switch,4x4, 33s, 4.10 gears. Do you think that 400ish hp is enough to get my truck into the 13 second range with the mods mentioned earlier?

Should be, hate to jinx it, but you're probably going to pop the input shaft trying to get there though.

Ya, I scored a used bd billet flexplate. I've been waiting for the funds to pick up a triple disk and billet input. I have a Transgo hd2 shift kit sitting on the shelf in my shop. I wanted to beef up the Trans before I got a bigger charger but I traded some gasser parts for the he351 and a buddy of mine has the bands, flange adapter, down pipe for the 351 swap. Thanks for the info.

160 pumps like the following:

Big injectors
Lots of timing (20-26)

As far as your 400hp goal I would do the following;
5x.012
18-20* (depending on climate)

For your 13's goal:
5x.014
24* for the track

-20 below zero the past week and she still fires up with 16.5 timing. Going to retorque the head bolts when winter is over, then I'll bump the timing again.
Thanks guys

Yea, I run 18-19 degrees of timing. Any more than that and stock headgaskets start ****ting the bed.

Some of my exhaust manifold gaskets are leaking. So when I'm in he process of mocking up the 351cw do you guys think it would be worth gasket matching the exhaust manifold where it meets the head and the turbo flange area? As well as opening up the wastegate?

while you have the charger off you should look into drilling out the wastegate port to allow better flow. I ported mine to 1 1/8" and it gave me about 1/16" around the puck to seal.

Is this charger a worth while improvement over the HX35? I am looking at putting on my street puller. The rules state we have to use a stock charger, but swapping between model years is allowed.

what all is required to put an he351 in place of an hx35? are the oil lines the same? will it bolt up to a stock 2nd gen manifold? IC pipe connection?

oil feed is the same, pull fitting out of 35 thread into 351.
will bolt onto 2nd gen manifold, though you might need washers under nuts..
charge and exhaust piping will be your greatest hurdles.

Back