HT4B as a primary in twins

DieselNasty

Exactly how big is it and who runs them? Any other turbos similar in size that work better?

i think its the 3B's replacement. im not shure though.

3B was replaced by the HT60. The 4B is a larger version of the 3B. It can work well as a primary but needs a good amount of fuel to spool it with a 88 inducer.

The compressor wheel on my HT4B measures 83mm x 128mm.

It's difficult to remove the exhaust housing so no idea on exhaust turbine wheel.

Exhaust housing on mine is an open throat 28cm with standard T6 manifold flange and 5" V-band outlet.

My best guess is that this turbo will flow in the 115-130 lb per minute range making it just a touch larger than an S480.

Yea looking for a turbo a bit bigger than an s480 so i figured this might do it! Now i have to find one and i think im going to run it with a s366 of some kind what do you all think?

2tone12V had an S483 for sale... That is a "touch" bigger than an s480, lol

Although the HT4B is "older technology" it does have a huge major diameter on the compressor wheel, making it ideal for increased efficiency at high pressure ratios. If you look through Garrett's published compressor maps, this turbo is proportionally obscure. The HT4B's 128mm dimension is closest to the GT5533 whereas the 83mm dimension is closest to the GT4708.

GT4708 comp 80.7 x 108 = 117 lbs per minute
GT4718 comp 88 x 118 = 138 lbs per minute
GT5533 comp 91 x 133 = 152 lbs per minute

If you look at the compressor maps from the three Garrett turbos, you will see the huge jump in mapped pressure ratio on the GT55 due to it's "huge" major diameter of 133mm. Based on that alone, it would seem the HT4B is capable of 6:1 pressure ratios. In a twin turbo setup, that means you super force feed the top turbo 2nd stage turbo with 60+ psi.

GT4708compmap_e.jpg

GT4718compmap_e.jpg

GT5533_Comp_e.jpg

I've got a 4B that is going to mix with a Silver Bullet, looking forward to seeing how it runs.

Jim

The compressor wheel on my HT4B measures 83mm x 128mm.

It's difficult to remove the exhaust housing so no idea on exhaust turbine wheel.

Exhaust housing on mine is an open throat 28cm with standard T6 manifold flange and 5" V-band outlet.

My best guess is that this turbo will flow in the 115-130 lb per minute range making it just a touch larger than an S480.

Mine is the same size on the compressor, although I was able to get my turbine housing off. Turbine wheel measured 87-88mm on the exducer. My exhaust housing is a 26cm divided T6 with 5" v band outlet. I have heard many compare this charger to flowing more than a big brother. Garmon and Keating seem to be fond of them, so they seem like a good choice in my book.

Also its funny how there has been much interest in these chargers lately. When I tried finding info a while back I was in the dark, all I knew is that they were big and they worked. Also, what is the difference between the ht4b and ht4c? Mine is a 4c, or so thats what it was marketed to me as. I noticed some of the 4b's for sale did not have what seems to be the mwe groove, whereas my 4c does? Is this the difference?

Back