HTT 66/14 65mm vs. 66/13SS 71mm??????

wdimig

ok guys, i got the old scool sled puller 66 turbo on my truck from HTT, i like the turbo, spools decent, but is lacking on the top end, too much backpressure, not enoigh flow. the current setup is a 66/14cm with a 65mm turbine. my question is has anybody changed thier setup to the 66 prostreet with the 13cm Stainless steel housing with the 71LDP turbine wheel?? if you have have you experienced surging issues?, i do have a built automatic, but the converter is not very tight. i do experience some surging issues with the current charger setup when going into OD, but i know that can be expected with such a large charger, but ive learned to drive around the surge a little bit. i dont want to go with the 16cm housing because i think it will be too large of a housing to spool, and will loose HP. i am really liking the reports i have read, and heard about the new SS housing, but it has mostly been with a 62, or 64 compressor, not a 66. so what do you guys think, will i benefit from going from the old slep puller setup, the the 66/13cm with a 71LDP??

wes

I've been running the old school 66/14 for years with out any problems but on a CR. I believe the 12Vs like the 64/14 better.

You would probably like and make more power with a 64/71/13 over your 66/65/14 and have comparable spool up to what you have now.

Brett

Plus, it's much harder to melt the stainless. I tried and it didn't melt like the cast housings.

so you guys think i would be better off with a 64 compressor, than a 66, im trying to make more power, and if possible, reduce egt's a little bit, i am planning on going to injectors that are about the same size as DDP stage 4's, and i can bury the pryo with stage 3's as it is, im hoping that the larger turbine, with the dual wastegates will help with drive pressure, which i think is too much with the old 65mm turbine. thanks for the advice.

wes

Wes, I can't speak for your turbos but I have run both a SPS 66 and Silver Bullet and they will no surge on my truck, this is with a ported head and stock cam.

Jim

Im running pretty close to the same setup as you, but with the 62/13/71ss htt charger. I like the charger but need to upgrade it into twins. with my truck i have to ease into the fuel or i will put the fire out, now if i ease into it until it lights off then get on it gets up and goes. but there is still a point in the go petal where i feel no more power and the smoke and egts start soaring. that bieng said i think i am going to pull the lazer cuts out until i get twins. I would think that you would be happy with the 64/13/71ss also.

So far i love my HTT 66/71/13ss.
I have had tons of egt issues but prob. due to the fact that i was trying to make it work w/o a cooler. I now have one in place, and get to try it at the track this comming weekend.

thanks for the advice guys, i think im going to stick with the 66 compressor, i need alot of air, and i dont think the 64 will be enough. i hope to the the turbo sent out to high tech soon and have it rebuilt into the 66/13 ss.

wes

Price it, but I think you might be etter off to sell yours and buy the 66/71/13ss.
They want $700 just for the ss housing when you buy it seperatley. Its under $300 when you have them build a new one.
Just a thought.

Back