HTT turbo noise

trekbikedude

I just installed a HTT 64/71/13 SS turbo on my truck. After the install I noticed a funny ting ting noise in the exhaust. I checked all clamps and trans dipstick tube, I didn't see anything rubbing or loose. I also retorqued the exhaust manifold bolts. Here is a video of the noise, it is high pitched and can only be heard in the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBWbMq42A_4

Hard to tell by the video but how is the shaft play. Was the turbo new?

no

I'm really serious about this noise. Perhaps your computer speakers aren't picking up on it but it is a pretty high pitched tinging ting noise that comes through the exhaust. Guess you guys can't hear it:doh:

Sounds like the waste gate is loose. Dose it go away when at full boost ?

At full boost, I get a lot of wind noise, can't hear much of anything. I'm gonna check the wastegate out tonight. And I did leave a 16mm wrench behind but that was for the airdog! I found that in between the battery and fender a week later! Thanks for the help guys.

still making a damn noise

I'm just about to give up and live with the noise. The wastegate is tight. I checked all exhaust clamps, exhaust manifold, everything. What else could this be? Could it be an exhaust valve? Truck has 56k on the clock and I notice a pretty good haze in peoples headlights at night time. During the day, I can't see anything at all being emitted from the tailpipe. It hazes over medium throttle.

I'm just about to give up and live with the noise. The wastegate is tight. I checked all exhaust clamps, exhaust manifold, everything. What else could this be? Could it be an exhaust valve? Truck has 56k on the clock and I notice a pretty good haze in peoples headlights at night time. During the day, I can't see anything at all being emitted from the tailpipe. It hazes over medium throttle.

have you called HTT?

Yes

Yes I have. They think there is something stuck in the exhaust. There is no debris in the exhaust.

no rub

I've checked everywhere, the exhaust isn't rubbing anything. I pretty much give up now, and live with this annoying noise that is pretty concerning.

just reading you guys asked missing any tools thats funny cause when i did my turbo swap on my 6.7 i was taking the last bolt out of the manifold already had the exhaust loose from the turbo i droped my socket and ratchet down my 5'' down pipe it was hell getting back out and im a smart guy and welded all my exhaust together

^^^^^^^ oh crap that sounds like something that would happen to me.......funny as crap as I sit here and read it though, def. Not funny at the time though I'm sure.

Back