Hx55 How streetable is i?t

SC13Diesel

Okay so I saved up and have SDX 5 16s on the way. I know those are too big for the stock turbo. And for a college kid like me an Hx55 is affordable right now. My question is how easy will it be to lite the Hx55? Will it be smokey? Thanks Guys

uh yea it will be harder to spool on the street than say a s300 based turbo size, they don't like to see alot of boost(more than 40 i would say), and you really should have the compressor pinned on the shaft, there's a better chance that it won't grenade do to higher boost levels. there are lot better turbo options than a HX55 IMHO even if you don't have a whole lot of cash to spend, what are you trying to do with your truck?, is your truck auto or stick, what gears in the rear end? the optimal combo to try and spool that charger would be a 5spd., and 4.10's in the rear. auto and 3.54's and i don't think you will be a happy camper with a HX55 on the street, especially in OD.

Wes

Ya thats what I thought. I saw it for $200 and figured id ask. I plan on my truck being a decent weekend warrior till im out of school, then it will be a straight pull truck, thats why i went with the 5 16s. The truck is an auto with 3.73s in the rear. So you think an s300 based charger would be the best fit?

i would say yes to that, better driveability on the street, and a more robust charger. if you plan on pulling, maybe something like a 66/71/13ss would be a good combo, it will make power, and still be driveable on the street,or you could step up to like a S468, even more robust, i don't know the classes real well in pulling, not sure where the s468 would fall in the classes, but it is a streetable charger, and would do better in the flow department on the exhaust side.

it should be 3.54's in the rear on a second gen., i wish they had 3.73's

Do not waste Your time and money to HX55, they will explode sooner or later.

I had 17cm housing and II Dragon Flow injectors and even with this it was very laggy, but when it lites ,just hold on

My total milage with HX55 was 100 miles

the hx55 will be laggy but yes when it lights it hits pretty hard as for the boost mine saw over 60 easy but i didnt run it for long i would save and look for a better street turbo

i would say yes to that, better driveability on the street, and a more robust charger. if you plan on pulling, maybe something like a 66/71/13ss would be a good combo, it will make power, and still be driveable on the street,or you could step up to like a S468, even more robust, i don't know the classes real well in pulling, not sure where the s468 would fall in the classes, but it is a streetable charger, and would do better in the flow department on the exhaust side.[/QUO

dosent a hx55 have a 68mm inducer?

what about going with a smaller exhaust housing??? like smaller then 17 which you guys had tried already

i would say yes to that, better driveability on the street, and a more robust charger. if you plan on pulling, maybe something like a 66/71/13ss would be a good combo, it will make power, and still be driveable on the street,or you could step up to like a S468, even more robust, i don't know the classes real well in pulling, not sure where the s468 would fall in the classes, but it is a streetable charger, and would do better in the flow department on the exhaust side.[/QUO

dosent a hx55 have a 68mm inducer?

honestly i don't know, im sure that info has been posted on this site before, what i was getting at is the s468 is a more robust charger, has a bigger shaft, and overall it can handle more abuse than the hx55 can, i don't think have enough finger's, and toes to count how many blown turbo's i have replaced on the ISM's that have the vgt version of the hx55, (He531ve i believe is the designation for that charger), i have done some of the older ISM's that have the HX55 charger on them, although they seem to last longer because they don't spin very hard, i think even on the higher rated older non egr ISM's, they only make about 28psi at rated power. im sure that there are better options out there for the guy that was looking at this charger, better options than even the S468, maybe someone from the pulling community can chime in on this subject....

Back