I Cracked My 12v Block...help

REEDSTR

SHADE TREE TECH
Well After A New Oil Cooler And Head Gasket Truck Was Still Puitng Coolent Into My Oil, I Thought The Only Place It Could Be Coming From Was The Soft Plugs Behind The Tappett Cover, So I Pulled Pump And Cover Off And Pressured Everything Up To 14-18 Psi To Find A Crack Right Under The Soft Plugs Across The Whole Block.. So Has Any One Seen This Or Better Yet How Dose This Happen........ , And I Need A New Block ..... Anyone Live Near Spokane Wa Or Cda Idaho That Has A Short Block, And The Worst Part Is Its A Fresh Build With Less Then 600 Miles On It So Im Sorta Mad At The Builder For Not Maging The Block For What I Payed

i have seen a few B engines come to the shop with the same problem, they had a crack at the same location, not sure what exactly caused it, maybe a casting issue with the block, ill see if i can prod some info out of my lead tech on this issue...

Wes

I have a couple short blocks but I am in Texas. I will be in Colorado next week

Sounds like a casting defect the 53 blocks usually crack on the pass side but any block could have a flaw. Rich

Sounds like a casting defect the 53 blocks usually crack on the pass side but any block could have a flaw. Rich

I agree. I didn't see what year his 12v is but if it is a '98 it could have a 53 block. My buddies '98 12v has one.

well I forgot to add its a new block, so the whole 318 miles of abuse thing is not on this block. but im not posting my problems for other people to be a jackass about im only trying to figure out why it did it and so i can get my truck up and going, now if you feel the need to be a wise guy about it,.. talk it over with your super cool buds other wise this thread is not for you $.02

i have seen a few B engines come to the shop with the same problem, they had a crack at the same location, not sure what exactly caused it, maybe a casting issue with the block, ill see if i can prod some info out of my lead tech on this issue...

Wes

yes that would be great but it looks as if its cracked where the head studs stop in the block not really sure just a thought

Was this block brand spankin new from cummins? Or was it pulled out of another truck and sent to a machine shop or...? The word "new" has many different meanings to a lot of people... If it was pulled out of another truck I would check to see if it was a 53 block.

I did a google search awhile back and saw pictures of where to look for the actual casting mark "53" because I was worried that the gf's 24v was one. Lucky for us it wasn't...

it was out of a 95 dodge that was rolled and it had 35000 miles on it so it was close to new

I would put my money on a defect in the casting, or something happened to it when that truck was rolled...

Back