I crawled out of my 12v cave and got a CR!

Scooter's Roofing

I bought an 03 stripper model today... pretty much a zero option truck... I literally think the only option on it is carpet! (ever seen an ST with carpet?) 193k miles, clean carfax. I ran the VIN at the dodge house and it only had a few very minor things done under warranty. (NOT a 1st year problem child!) It's got the APPS at the pedal (late 03?)

never had a gooseneck ball, runs/drives great (slow!), no blowby, only leak I could see was one of the rubber lines where it meets the power steering cooler the spring clamp isn't quite doing its job. just barely seeping right there.

I got it for $7000 :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

it looks like a tailpipe got in a little fight w/ the rear quarter or something, but for the price I can totally deal with it, and it gives me an excuse to look for a short bed "honey, I've looked everywhere for a replacement bed... all I could find was a shortbed" LOL

Mike at HotRodDiesel is going to build me a manual valve body automatic, and he was kind enough to loan me a Smarty Jr so that it won't be downright PAINFULLY slow on the 3hr ride home! (he was sold out of the regular Smarty... thanks Mike!)

and now for a few pics of the new hot rod:

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

Looks good, you sure you want a full manual VB?? I can get a 3600 1-2 shift out of mine.

yeah, I couldn't pass it up, I'd looked at a few other early 2wd ST's in the past in the $8500-9500 range that I almost moved on, but they were either autos w/ the 10.5 rear or had tan interior or had questionable carfax, etc.

the earlier/higher mile 3rd gens are definately coming down, but this was still at LEAST a couple grand cheaper than other trucks I was looking at...

I actually found a halfway decent quad/short 2wd auto truck for $12.5k, but it was in worse cosmetic shape, had more miles, etc. I've got my 98 quad cab that I use for work, and the single cab is fine for a toy, lots of room in the 3rd gens! And the difference in price leaves more room for mods :)

Nice find, BOTW my 98' will be a whole lot higher than that!

When I get everything sold off I may very well start looking for a CR but trying to match that with zero debt hardly work together.

Q: Why would you want or need a manual V/B, just build a 48 V/B and be done with it.

Jim

I guess I assumed the auto would need an ECM and harness change... then there's the whole column changeover, etc.

the manual VB just seemed like the easiest/cost effective solution...

I'm also considering an RH w/ a floor shifter

I was going to call you I found a 24V for your EX project if you were still going to do that.

Forrest put in a 47RH. Then use pressure switches to run lockup and OD.

zstroken said:
Forrest put in a 47RH. Then use pressure switches to run lockup and OD.

yeah, I'm leaning towards an RH now... I can still use a shifter to hold each gear in a drag setting if I need to

I'd like to make friends with the girls in your avatar pic :) lol Like I told you earlier dude that truck looks awesome, especially for the price!

B&M truck mega shifter. It is a rachet shifter and I really like it.

Bob Wagner said:
Forrest, You have a friend here. :clap:

glad to hear it! as soon as Mike gets the next shipment from you, I'll be buying a Smarty from him.

I'm not looking to be the fastest guy out there or have the flashiest truck... just hoping to have some fun on a decent budget... ultimately I'd like to see 575+ on fuel, play around at the strip, and have a fun vehicle to take on road trips/vacations w/ the wife.

my current 98 12v runs really well and is probably in the 475-500 range (due to low timing!), but it's my daily work vehicle and has a good 2000lbs worth of tool boxes, tools, headache rack, etc. in the bed. It's perfectly capable out on the highway, but I'd sure like to have something that's a couple thousand lbs lighter and a hundred horsepower stronger with a broader more driver friendly powerband

zstroken said:
B&M truck mega shifter. It is a rachet shifter and I really like it.

I've always been a ratchet fan, and a ratchet is a lot more drivable w/ a reverse pattern valve body :(

doesn't an RH need a TV cable?

I want a truck :(

(voodoo stuff, it lost half my post)

It's a nice find congrats!

RH doesn't need a TV with a manual VB. 100% line pressure 100% of the time. WHEEEEEEEE FIRST! *BANG* WHEEEEEE Second!!! LOL

Thats a pretty nice truck, especially for the price. I almost bought a 94 2wd std cab for $3k just to play around in.

yea but 100% tv cable is hard on the pump. The TV cable wouldn't be hard to rig up.

Hey Forrest I will be watching this build because I have a similer idea of jumping to a commen rail. I'm leaning towards an 04 or later. Make sure you detail your mods and costs to do so. This should be interesting......

Back