I Have a Suggestion to Keep People Honest

MOMBENZ

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Hi,

Don't know if it's possible but can measures be implemented so people cannot edit their post after others replied to their comments?

I know of an incident yesterday where someone edited an earlier post 6 replies after and totally changed the earlier post. That same person had even posted twice after the edited one. It's misleading, dishonest and disrupts the actual flow of the conversation.

Thanks,
Vivian

Last edited:
Vivian, were looking into just that. If your gonna post it, stand behind it.

Hey Tim,

Thank you for the quick response. It's early, why don't we start a breakfast club? :ylsuper:

Thanks,
Vivian

I'm not much for breakfast. But I like clubs. I like to hit people with them.

:hehe: up at 4a.m. everyday Viv. :hehe:

Yeah, this exact topic is being discussed now, we've had the pot stirring started then some crafty edits happened before...... We're thinking of a time limit allowance for personal edits anything after a moderator will be needed to be contacted.:thankyou2:

I am not sure this can be done, but maybe if you can only edit until someone else post. I know sometimes I type out something that is just really boneheaded, and need to change it, but if someone else post, only a Mod or Admin can change it after that.

We are now under a time based edit window. After the time has expired a moderator/ administrator will need to be contacted with a good reason for the need to edit....

Lets stand behind your posts! LOL

Good idea but....

I think if we were to had admin enable that option it would really take away from what we have here. Not to mention create an ass load of work for the mods changing posts for everyone.

We as in the members of "Comp Diesel" ABSOLUTELY have to hold our selfs to a higher standard. If we start having a board that we have to worry about someone editing their earlier post to make them look better or for what ever reason we are going to be no better than the other forums that we have all bailed from.

We all know the people that are active on this forum are good people and when someone says something and changed their story farther down the thread we (the members) almost always catch it and call them on it. We dont get into bashing here either, if there is a problem with a member it need to be brought to the mods attention.

I'm rambling now.
The moral is if they are back peddling to CYA and no one calls them on it than shame on us.
I think not being able to edit a post is really REALLY DUMB!

I know there has been times when I have made a post and reread it later and decided to alter the wording a bit to better bring out my point and it does say at the bottom of the post after a edit "edited @ --/--/-- by _________".

I'm done.

If you have a problem with a post bring it to the mods, creating this non edit posts option I think will create more work for them and they have enough going on to deal with "can you change this for me" 100 times a day..

dan

Last edited:
Zuk- believe me when I tell ya we mods don't want additional workload, nor do we wish to become known as a site that over-moderates, fact is if you make a post, make sure it's a post you can stand behind....:thankyou2:

And like Phil posted- 15 minutes is enough time to change your story:hehe: :hehe:

Sounds good. I for one can proof read my post three times and still have to edit it once I see it posted. 15 minutes should be plenty of time to crawdad out of any hole we may dig for ourselves. Nice idea. Any word on a "multiple quote" button yet? Let's see, where's that hyjack smilie....LOL

Jory,

Sorry man thats kinda been put on the back burner for now..I'll try to take a look into it next week after the TS Event.

Phil

4x4dually said:
Sounds good. I for one can proof read my post three times and still have to edit it once I see it posted. 15 minutes should be plenty of time to crawdad out of any hole we may dig for ourselves. Nice idea. Any word on a "multiple quote" button yet? Let's see, where's that hyjack smilie....LOL

jacked.gif

That one? :hehe:

partsguy662 said:
jacked.gif

That one? :hehe:

Yes. You DO know dang right!

wideopen said:
Jory,

Sorry man thats kinda been put on the back burner for now..I'll try to take a look into it next week after the TS Event.

Phil

No problem. It is a luxury item, not a necessity.

Nah don't change anything. I need to be able to go back and correct grammatical errors so as to maintain my intellectual superiority as well as editing for earlier drunken posting lol. If you're worried about getting into it online and people changing their tune, then don't get into it online. Why do people care sooooo much about this internet verbal diarrhea?

It is my goal on this site to make it to 200 post before Duke1n finds fault in my literay prowess. I must be able to edit. Please don't dash my hopes.

i made a post and then went into the archives to find the TRUTH. sorry i didnt have it when i posted. there was no directive behind editing. vivian, please dont make a big deal out of nothing. ill never say anything again objective to you or dj then you'll have nothing to cry about. there's no reason to change the rules cuz one thread didnt work out the way you wanted it to. its one thread. start another touting that turd and ill stay out of it. lol j/k

I don't think this is a wise move from a Tech Content standpoint.

Often you will have a How-To that you need to "freshen up" days later.

Besides, it's great to delete your posts to make someone look like they're arguing with themselves! :D

Back