I have searched brake and abs lights and brakes staying locked up

spooled mule

More slow then go...
So long story short my brakes decided to get a mind of their own. I was driving home from eating and i ran up on a stop sign and had to stop pretty fast the tires slid a little. After that i go to take off and i see my abs and brake lights are on i think this is odd so i begin trying to pick up the pedal and stuff to get them off with no prevail. I drive about 3mi and then i see slight smoking and smell my brakes. I pulled off at a gas station and looked and see they are locked up tight. So i go inside and buy 2 gallons of cold water to cool them down on the drive home and begin the long drive back. About every 3mi they would begin to smell again and i would cool them down and drive 40mph till the smell came back. So now i need help i have the battery cables off so the brake lights won't drain my batteries over the course of last night. How can i fix it i have tried very little since it happened at 1:00am last night. Another issue is my converter will not lockup since the lights have came on and i do have a pot mod. Any and all help appreciated and sorry for the long post :blahblah1:

Last edited:
You are going to have to start with all new rotors and calipers. The cold water prob scrapped them then you need to find someone with a code reader that can read abs lights and find out what is making them stay on.

Yeah i may just wait until i get it fixed to even begin seeing if it hurt them. Update i went for a little test drive thought i had fixed the problem but again no way this is going away easy. I hooked the batteries up and cranked it and the lights were off so i drove it about 2mi. I noticed after the first 900yd that i still have no lockup. When i got back here i also noticed that my brake lights are still staying on 24/7. Also the lights for brake and abs are back again now. Anybody want a nice 2wd 12v :lolly: I forgot to add that when i looked to be sure the fluid level was ok the rubber seal that sits under the lid was sucked down into the reservoir but the fluid level is ok.

Last edited:
Mine did the same thing. It's the proportioning valve or something best I remember

Thanks can you recall where in the world I would begin to locate it on the truck. If not I will search here and see what I dig up about it. Thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I had some similar issues on my 99. It was only the front brakes for me , I replaced the brake light switch under the dash and that shut off my brake lights. (10 $) and then I replaced the master cylinder and calipers and that fixed the front brakes (110 $)

Funny you said that i fixed it earlier and sure enough that switch had moved a tiny bit and needed adjusting. As for the front brakes and abs light i just bled the brakes. Now i think there should be a thread for every brake problem you could have :lolly:

Back