I need a little help

Yooper75

Life sucks, get a helmet!
Ok I need some help my truck is an 06 6.0 with 131k on it. Yesterday I started my truck to leave for lunch and it started belching blue smoke and missing it was about 38* so it shouldnt have been missing to badly. I thought it was diesel until I got a whiff of the smoke and it smelled more like burning oil than diesel so I took the truck to the dealer a mile down the road from where I work. I talked to a tech and he said that it could be a bad injector but wouldnt know for sure until he can scan the truck when its cold because thats the only time it smokes like this and it clears up when its warm. Any opinions and suggestions are greatly apprieciated.

Thanks

Dave

If it's got a bad injector, which could be the case, it should have anything to do with the temperature outside. He's not gonna scan the smoke, :} he's gonna scan for the bad part.

If it's got a bad injector, which could be the case, it should have anything to do with the temperature outside. He's not gonna scan the smoke, :} he's gonna scan for the bad part.

I know I would rather give more info than not enough. This is the first diesel I have owned so I am learning as I go and this thing is going to drive me to drink.:hehe:

I know I would rather give more info than not enough. This is the first diesel I have owned so I am learning as I go and this thing is going to drive me to drink.:hehe:

That's what happened to me in October, the drinking part.
:Cheer:

Well the truck goes to the dealer on Friday morning to have them figure out which injector it is. I swear this thing know whens I have money that I plan on spending on something that I want.:bang

Well the truck goes to the dealer on Friday morning to have them figure out which injector it is. I swear this thing know whens I have money that I plan on spending on something that I want.:bang

You'll have all weekend to drink...

I know.... This thing has me really confused now because I started it this morning and it didnt miss at all and barely smoked other than the typical cold start blue diesel smoke that you get. I told the service manager yesterday when I scheduled it that if this crap keeps up I am going to yank the 6leaker and stuff a cummins under the hood.LOL

The dealer just called and I have not one but two bad injectors.:bang I am wondering if its worth the extra coin to do all eight as long as they are in there replacing the two because they are on different sides of the engine?

I know they are about 250 a piece and what I am also wondering is how hard is it to change them out? Can a mechanicly inclined person do these in a day with out alot of trouble?

Define "alot of trouble?"

Many guys on this site have done it them selves

Like is it worth not paying the 500 in labor to do it my self. I guess I am really not afraid to get dirty and spend quite a few hours on this.

Like is it worth not paying the 500 in labor to do it my self. I guess I am really not afraid to get dirty and spend quite a few hours on this.

Sorry the last post came off alot more sarcastic than it was supposed to. I am just trying to get my truck fixed for the least amount of money and if I have to get covered in diesel and grease to do I am willing to go that route. I guess what I would like to know is if anyone knows how hard it is to change the #3 and #6 injectors on these trucks. Any and all help is greatly appreciated in helping my get this done. Thank you in advance.

Dave

Back