I need some tips

Lifted94XLT

Alright guys. I'm goin to the track saturday and this is my first time EVER racin the strip. I've read thru the forum and it seems like 4hi is the answer to good times. I will be in my truck with mods listed below along with a Workhorse Chip I just installed earlier this week. but anyway. other than the boosted 4hi launches, do y'all "seasoned racers" have any tips for this drag racing nOOb? Thanks.

--Ryan

When you stage, only light the top light on the tree, then wait till the other guy stages both lights. When he does, hold the brake, start to build boost, and just barely let up on the brakes until it rolls enough to light the second light. As soon as you see the last green, let the brake go and hold it to the floor. Keep it that way till you cross the finish line.

Let us know how you do. If you are going to do it very often, think about getting an SCT, tuned from one of our vendors. You will get a lot more HP, but more imprortantly, you will keep your transmission happy.

Last edited:
Learn to count the lights, as in:
Code:
   [u]LIGHT : COUNT : TIME[/u]
  yellow :  one  : 0
  yellow :  and  : 0.1666 sec
  yellow :  two  : 0.3333 sec
   green :  and  : 0.5 sec
The time is measured from the exact start of each count word.

Watch a bunch of launches to see where drivers and front tires are when they pre-stage, and how far they move to stage. You'll be better prepared when you get to the line the first time.

Pre-stage (turn on the first staging light), build and maintain 5 PSI boost (to take up slack in the drivetrain), wait for the other guy to pre-stage, then stage (turn on the second staging light). Remember that *you* might be 'the other guy'. When staging, be sure you travel only far enough to *just* turn on the second bulb. No further. And do it the same way every time.

Then when the tree starts, start counting the lights. Instantly release the brake and quickly ease the go pedal to the floor at the beginning of the 't' of 'two'. Do exactly that until you achieve consistent reaction times (RTs). Ignore the actual time, whether it is positive or negative. Start with working toward consistency. Once you achieve consistent RTs, *then* adjust the spot in your counting cadence to reach the optimal RT.

Once you achieve consistency under those conditions, you can increase your staging boost to 10 PSI and adjust your cadence launch point to compensate for the added power (if needed). Then continue practicing until you achieve consistent RTs under the new conditions.

Remember, in bracket racing, you don't need to be the fastest or quickest. You need to be the most consistent. You need the best reaction time. You need to do exactly the same thing every time. In time, you will also need to learn how your truck performs in its various conditions (engine, trans, ambient air and track temp cold, cool, warm or hot) and adjust your cadence launch point accordingly.

While you are learning, do not let anyone talk you into maximizing HP or torque; you don't yet need either. That would be like trying to run a marathon before you've learned how to stand on your feet, or trying to write a novel before you've learned grammar and spelling.

Thanks hippie, that's a lot of help. I'm not gonna be doin this often. I'm just gettin to test this chip for free to see how I like it, so I figured one of the best ways to test it is at the track against stock times. if I decide to keep this chip, its as high as I'm goin hp wise except for the intake and exhaust I plan on installin. I'm affraid to run too much power outta this truck, b/c my last truck, a 96 12V Cummins, blew up after owning it only 6 months b/c of me boosting the fuel for more power..... I'll post up my times. thanks again
--Ryan

whats the process of staging for a pro tree hippie? thats what they use at my local track?

I agree with Dalpilot and use the same method he does with staging and launching.You don't need to be at the line with 20 things running through your head while you are staging and trying to launch.
Once you are staged boost it up and when the last light turns yellow nail it:ylsuper: !!!

Dalpilot said:
When you stage, only light the top light on the tree, then wait till the other guy stages both lights. When he does, hold the brake, start to build boost, and just barely let up on the brakes until it rolls enough to light the second light. As soon as you see the last green, let the brake go and hold it to the floor. Keep it that way till you cross the finish line.

Let us know how you do. If you are going to do it very often, think about getting an SCT, tuned from one of our vendors. You will get a lot more HP, but more imprortantly, you will keep your transmission happy.

Last edited:
BFD99 said:
whats the process of staging for a pro tree hippie? thats what they use at my local track?

I think that is what he posted. Also, if oyu wait to see the green light, your too late. Leave on the last yellow, it will be green before the synapses in your brain fire to tell your foot to let off the brake. Or maybe I just have a slower brain.

Dalpilot said:
I think that is what he posted. Also, if oyu wait to see the green light, your too late. Leave on the last yellow, it will be green before the synapses in your brain fire to tell your foot to let off the brake. Or maybe I just have a slower brain.

awesome, thanks. I'll try that tomorrow.

BFD99 said:

Pro tree, whether it be .5 sec or .4 sec is the same sort of thing; you just don't have the benefit of the second and third yellows to assist your cadence timing. Start counting 1-and-2-and as soon as you see the yellow, and learn to time it so that the second 'and' starts just as the green lights up.

Lifted94XLT said:
Alright guys. I'm goin to the track saturday and this is my first time EVER racin the strip. I've read thru the forum and it seems like 4hi is the answer to good times. I will be in my truck with mods listed below along with a Workhorse Chip I just installed earlier this week. but anyway. other than the boosted 4hi launches, do y'all "seasoned racers" have any tips for this drag racing nOOb? Thanks.

--Ryan
That’s exactly what I did, I visited the track once, then the disease took over… When I first started, I couldn’t even spell Desal, deesal, disle, deisal you guys know what I mean…

haha, well, it looks like I'm not goin tomorrow now. There's an F-body only day tomorrow, I can still run, but it'll be almost $50 just to race!! I don't think so! so I'm gonna have to wait til next week maybe.

--Ryan

Back