I swoled it...

I still don't see a hydrolocked engine there...or one that tried to yank the rod out of a stuck piston.

That rod bolt was not stretched becasue of the failure, at least from the damage I'm seeing. That rod was weak, or that bolt failed and stretched. Pistons that look like that did not stick or get hydrolocked.

Is the wrist pin still free in the bad cylinder....like not stuck in the piston or rod? Maybe check that one for roundness. If it's still round then it could not have hydrolocked, or stuck.

JMHO,
Chris

The rod bearing is fine, just enough wear that you can tell its been installed and the broken part of the rod still freely glides on the wrist pin. They were Brazil rods.

Lavon

Well then, the title to this thread is the approriate one.

It just truly "Swoled" itself!

"Swoled" engines don't have to have a reason. They just do it cause they don't like me. lol

But I don't think I've ever been around this truck. Maybe you were just heading South from KY and it thought you were just heading in my direction.. LOL

Really though, I sure am sorry this crap happened to you. It really sux!

failed rod bolt

I showed my dad some pictures and he was bettin on the rod bolt too... That was my first guess aswell then everybody said it was not the rod bolt.... so now we are all scratching our heads :poke:

Longhorn: Better luck to ya with the CR man.... my dads 05 is on its 3rd set of injectors in 115k.

I showed my dad some pictures and he was bettin on the rod bolt too... That was my first guess aswell then everybody said it was not the rod bolt.... so now we are all scratching our heads :poke:

Longhorn: Better luck to ya with the CR man.... my dads 05 is on its 3rd set of injectors in 115k.

Probably lack of maintenance....

im not sure if ARP designed them for the cummins but really? its a bolt? its not that complicated. its the right thread pitch, correct length, head size, and the tinsle strength is very high its an L19. Again im not sure either way if it was intended for use on the cummins. either way they are a stronger bolt then the A1's and they work on mine, and Haisley told me thats what they run on their stuff too.

I'm not trying to chit up the thread here. But, when I called Haisley they told me they used A1's and told me that's what they sell. So go figure. They also said ARP didn't offer any. This was 2 months ago.

Who said it wasn't the bolt...Wade? Swole? Roachie?

No offense to Swole or Roachie, but Wade doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground....well he might, his head is stuck up his ass, and not in a hole in the ground....

I've been working on engines for about 10 years now, am I an expert, no...but I've seen my fair share of block windows growing up around AC engines....they like chucking #5 through the cam.

Rod bolts....

When a rod bolt looks like that, there is no way it wasn't at least related to the failure....and not by smacking the block, or cam, or anything like that. Just trying to beat itself out of the engine will NOT stretch it....if you think it will, explain it to me exactly how!

Now, I could still see it being a rod failure, but that bolt was not helping anything.

Chris

I'm not trying to chit up the thread here. But, when I called Haisley they told me they used A1's and told me that's what they sell. So go figure. They also said ARP didn't offer any. This was 2 months ago.

Well they sold them to me and I showed you a picture? What else do you want me to do? Im not tryin to argue with you or start a fight with anyone, I don't know everything nor do I pretend to, but I proved to you I HAVE THEM. Call Haisley, and ask patty if you don't believe me. Sorry long horn I didn't mean to start this on your thread. Sorry about your truck man. I know others have offered too but if you decide to stick with a 12 valve I've got a spare block.

Last edited:
Well they sold them to me and I showed you a picture? What else do you want me to do? Im not tryin to argue with you or start a fight with anyone, I don't know everything nor do I pretend to, but I proved to you I HAVE THEM. Call Haisley, and ask patty if you don't believe me. Sorry long horn I didn't mean to start this on your thread. Sorry about your truck man. I know others have offered too but if you decide to stick with a 12 valve I've got a spare block.

I'm just trying to figure out if they know something now that a lot of us don't. Maybe they're switching over to this ARP L19 bolt due to A1 failures. IDK but it'd been nice to know before I purchased the A1's. That's all I'm getting at.

If the failure ws due to tastier then I would suspect the opposite side would have been compromised as well

Back