I think ive got trouble

justacummins

Certified Ford Diesel Tec
today I was wrenching on my truck when I noticed around my egt probe ive got a fluid seeping out around it and pushing its way past the turbo/manifold gasket, Its not a lot it just worries me and I really cant get a scent off of it but it does look like fuel. Any Ideas??
Jared

Possibly oil leaking past your valve stem seals? Seen it happen often on high mileage Cummins.

Ever hear of wetstacking? When you start any diesel engine cold a mixture of oil and fuel gets pushed into the manifold some are really bad and others aren't. Doesn't matter whether they are new or worn out engines. I've seen brand new engines leak so bad it was running down the block but generally it clears up once the engine gets warm.

ya but i would think that i would have a haze at idel if it was wet stacking the cylinders and im only running jammer 5's and i have just noticed this yesterday, never noticed it before

I used to work on brand new stationary engines. They did the same thing and there was no haze coming from them.

hmm well i guess ill just say screw it hopefully nothin bad happens lol. Thanks for the help guys

I have pictures somewhere of a new engine with black goo running down the sides and it leaked out between the manifold and the head before it warmed up enough to seal properly. I'll gonna look for them when I get home to my computer.

could be the injector seeping feul out when the engine was off, then you fire it up it pushes out into the exhuast manifold, don't really see that in 24 valves mainly in common rails.

This also happens from prolonged idleing. You should not let any diesel motor idle because the oil pressure is not up so like in the turbo, the oil will start to cok up and block the oil passages and then the oil will start finding its way out of the turbo seals. Our c12 cat motor is bad for this. All the ports for the exhaust manifold have oil seepage coming from them. All diesel should be idled up to where the oil pressure runs at the normal rate.

Back