Ideas on engine break in?

CSnyder

Snyder-Motorsports
Recently rebuilt my 03 CR and after initial fire I found the machine shop had reinstalled used frost plugs in the head injector area and one had pushed out and put coolant in my oil. I got new plugs and installed them and have dropped the oil 4 times after running it up to temp for about 30 minutes but Im still noticing some blow-by out of the oil cap. The oil is looking much cleaner than it was at first (ie: not milky white with coolant) but just curious if you guys think that the minimal coolant that may still be in the system is still burning off giving me the white cloud out of the oil fill. What have others seen for time frame on the rings seating and blow-by going away. The white blow-by clouds have gotten better after 4 oil changes btw.

Thanks!

put some weight 10k or so then go drive some hills with a mild tune that will help seat the rings faster.

i did this on mine had ~200 mile prior to moving form CA to OH 2500miles at 17,000lb by the time i hit 4500mile on the engine the rings were seated. and no more oil burn.

Change it out maybe one more time then run it easy for 50 miles and sample the oil. Wait for a report to see your coolant content. ensure you write on the ticket to look for coolant related stuff if they don't by default.

Then worry about your rings. ;-)

Yep, put a heavy load behind it and go for a long ride, preferably in a nice hilly area. That'll break it in.

Put some bottle to it..... LOL

Nah, just hook up to a trailer and work the motor. Best break-in for a diesel you can do.

Nah, just hook up to a trailer and work the motor. Best break-in for a diesel you can do.

He's 100% right. Sustained boost of 15psi+ and EGT's of 1000*+ do wonders for our Cummins. Gotta remember these are "medium duty" motors designed to haul incredible weights in trucks a lot larger than our pickups!!!

A year ago January, I had to pull a 30' car hauler loaded up with hunting gear and ATV's back to Wisconsin because the Duramaxipad that was pulling it puked out. Anyhow, the temp was getting colder the further North we go, and we're driving into a steady 30mph North wind. When I hooked up to the trailer in Springfield, MO; it was 20*F........by the time I crossed the Illinois/Wisconsin border, it was -13*F. Even with these cold temps, pulling that trailer and with my truck loaded to the gills with 5 guys and 3 dogs; my EGT's were 1000*+ and my boost gauge was running 20-25psi on level ground bucking that North wind. This was with my Smarty Revo on SW5.

After that haul, my truck never ran so good. I wish I could do that more often!!

Back