Idle haze?

Willy91

Howdy folks, I've got a question for ya's. How many of your truck haze at idle when cold with stock injectors? I know I've heard of marine injectors and bigger injectors hazing at idle, but I'm not sure about stock injectors. I don't notice it during the day, but at night with headlights behing me I can really see it BAD. Is this normal or is something rong? once up to temp it stops hazing. Truck is in sig 97, with zero plate and gutted AFC, 16 dgrees timing. Thanks for any help.

Mine had a pretty good haze from the time I got it (100k) but every bomb seemed to make it worse with timing being the most noticeable change.
I didn't notice a difference from the 215s to the F1 370s but by that point it was pretty bad. In my case it was a blue smoke that would be noticeable even once up to operating temp but would come in short bursts. I am in the re-assembly phase of the engine now but during disassembly I could find no obvious faults. The engine seemed perfect everywhere that I would suspect a fault for hazing, valve seals/guides looked good. Rings were all strong and sharp and not carboned/gummed up. Cyls still had a good cross hatch and tapered/ovaled less than .001 so?????? The only thing I found was my inter-cooler had a oily film on it and under close inspection I found my secondary turbo was pretty sloppy and leaking enough oil to maybe cause the smoke??? Its going back together with new pistons/rings/valve seals/valve job and secondary turbo so the smoke better be gone but if it is unfortunately I wont have a clue what it was.

I seem to have a white haze since i installed the 90hp injectors. Im not really worried about this since injectors seem to cause this alot.

Ratsun said:
Mine had a pretty good haze from the time I got it (100k) but every bomb seemed to make it worse with timing being the most noticeable change.
I didn't notice a difference from the 215s to the F1 370s but by that point it was pretty bad. In my case it was a blue smoke that would be noticeable even once up to operating temp but would come in short bursts. I am in the re-assembly phase of the engine now but during disassembly I could find no obvious faults. The engine seemed perfect everywhere that I would suspect a fault for hazing, valve seals/guides looked good. Rings were all strong and sharp and not carboned/gummed up. Cyls still had a good cross hatch and tapered/ovaled less than .001 so?????? The only thing I found was my inter-cooler had a oily film on it and under close inspection I found my secondary turbo was pretty sloppy and leaking enough oil to maybe cause the smoke??? Its going back together with new pistons/rings/valve seals/valve job and secondary turbo so the smoke better be gone but if it is unfortunately I wont have a clue what it was.

So you're saying timing really changes the idle haze? If so maybe that's it becuse I just go it done a couple weeks ago, otherwise my trubo is tight, truck has 52,000 miles on it so the engine should still be perfect internally I would think.

Willy91 said:
So you're saying timing really changes the idle haze? If so maybe that's it becuse I just go it done a couple weeks ago, otherwise my trubo is tight, truck has 52,000 miles on it so the engine should still be perfect internally I would think.

Yeah it seemed to make the most change on mine, but it might have been just a coincidence?

Ratsun said:
Yeah it seemed to make the most change on mine, but it might have been just a coincidence?

hopefully thats it, it's just wierd tho, I can't see anything during the day, but then get some headlights behing me and it's like a thick fog, I dunno. I wonder if my gutted afc could have caused this to maybe?

Willy91 said:
hopefully thats it, it's just wierd tho, I can't see anything during the day, but then get some headlights behing me and it's like a thick fog, I dunno. I wonder if my gutted afc could have caused this to maybe?

well it may not cause it to haze at idle but with no afc arm it will full harder even under moderate throttle . i don't notice mine to much during normal driving as well but at night like you say it (well i do a tad more than haze LOL) does get more noticable with a cars lights on behing you. ummm until the dissapear into the darkness :rockwoot:

I had my stock 215's haze really bad when the temps dropped. it was a white-ish blue smoke only at idle. Turned out my timing was at 23* set by some a-hole at cummins who said he bumped it just a few degrees. So yeah excessive timing can cause smoke....at least in my rig it did. I re-set it to 19 with the 370s and I haven't noticed but maybe a tiny bit of smoke.

ps: I'm in AZ so low temps mean 50's :)

Back