Idle smooth...Idle Rough

DirtyBlonde

The Pink & Black Attack
I noticed the other day, sitting in construction, that since I got my truck back with the tranny re-build that when sitting in Drive with my foot on the brake, or Park that the truck will idle great (purr like a tiger, if you will) for a bit, then idle rough (not super rough, but enough that you feel the truck rattle) then back to smooth.
All in three second intervals...Smooth, rough, smooth, rough.

Ummmm. Why?

Was the air conditioner on? Was the compressor cycling? (gotta check the little things first)

brandon.

If the new converter has a lower stall speed and your pop pressures are too high, you can get a bit of a wonky Idle.

Could the Grid be doing this during cycling causing electric 'noise'???

Last edited:
It does it with the a/c on or off....

And I don't know about neutral. I didn't have THAT much time in construction, but park yes...

I kinda thought the "Converter wonky" theory may be a possibility, too.

It isnt so much the converter, but pop pressure in the injectors. Tigther converters can cause this in 24v trucks. Hasit /does it die in the morning going from P to D? or P to R?

Timbeaux38 said:
It isnt so much the converter, but pop pressure in the injectors. Tigther converters can cause this in 24v trucks. Hasit /does it die in the morning going from P to D? or P to R?

Uhh, no. But ya gots to get it to rev up a bit to go either direction when he's cold.

Timbeaux38 said:
If the new converter has a lower stall speed and your pop pressures are too high, you can get a bit of a wonky Idle.

lmao this is one of my favorite words!
No. Seriously. It is.
You said Wonky.

Just curious if you had a chance to mention this to the people that did your tranny ?

I probably should, but everytime my truck goes near that place it gets sucked into the 3 week vortex of doom.

DirtyBlonde said:
Uhh, no. But ya gots to get it to rev up a bit to go either direction when he's cold.

That is because of converter Drainback. How long have those sticks been in your truck?

What was the last mod you did before this started?

If I remember right, Nat was telling me she was adjusting her piston return spring right before it happened.....

Back