In-Frame Piston Mods

Taking pointers from that triple turbo oraler I see. Now you just gotta shave some off the top LOL Very happy somebody like will is out there to try things most of us only think about trying.

edit: I am in NO WAY implying you are an oraler like that dbag by the way LOL

The truck is back on the road and running EXCELLENT!!! However, I did change the compound turbo setup from HX35/12cm over HT3B/26cm to something I've been wanting to try forever He351cw/9cm over S480w/race cover/1.32ar as well as went to a .010" thicker head gasket so compression is down right at 16:1.

The truck runs much cleaner in the mid-range and top end, idle haze is less as well, probably due to the 26* timing hitting the bowl now instead of the lip....

I haven't beat on it yet, want to get a few more heat cycles and then do a re-torque on the ARP 2000's. So far at 70 psi, it pulls well, I'd say 575 HP to the tire, clean out the tailpipe, S480 loping along at 30 psi.

Did I mention spool-up is excellent!!!

Last edited:
That is awesome! A customer of ours did in frame piston mods too but they didnt turn out as nice...
708d7b164b260e4372bf25706e19069e.jpg

Dang Will I figured you'd chuck my pistons up in a lathe. Do you need me to send the block as well???LOL :poke:

Dang Will I figured you'd chuck my pistons up in a lathe. Do you need me to send the block as well???LOL :poke:

If I could source a big industrial lathe, maybe I could spin the whole block on the lathe and use a big 3" diameter boring bar to cut a few thousandths off the bowls..... LOL

The truck is back on the road and running EXCELLENT!!! However, I did change the compound turbo setup from HX35/12cm over HT3B/26cm to something I've been wanting to try forever He351cw/9cm over S480w/race cover/1.32ar as well as went to a .010" thicker head gasket so compression is down right at 16:1.

The truck runs much cleaner in the mid-range and top end, idle haze is less as well, probably due to the 26* timing hitting the bowl now instead of the lip....

I haven't beat on it yet, want to get a few more heat cycles and then do a re-torque on the ARP 2000's. So far at 70 psi, it pulls well, I'd say 575 HP to the tire, clean out the tailpipe, S480 loping along at 30 psi.

Did I mention spool-up is excellent!!!

Roughly the same primary I'm planning on running. I'll be in Vegas next week and would love a ride in the truck if you have the time

First run in low range 4x4 .... ooops... about broke my neck at the starting line.... 31.03 @ 33.72 MPH!!!!

Second and final pass was ok 12.9 @ 103 MPH. It needs some more transmission tuning so it doesn't chug and bog on the 2-3 shift. And it still seems to be dropping fuel pressure on the second half of the pass as boost falls to about 60 psi and power declines in overdrive whereas on the hwy, if I stab the throttle in overdrive it will hit 80 psi and pull hard.

With everything sorted out, it still wouldn't do much better than 12.40's around 108 MPH. Needs more fuel!!!

Stock lift pump with a Carter 4601 100 gph pusher pump running on the stock 5/16" line force feeding 18 psi max to the 100% stock fuel system with a dirty filter (I think this is one of my biggest topend power problems at the track, don't stay WOT long enough on the street to notice the power drop off and the track split times really show where power is made and lost...)

5x.016" VCO 145* injectors, 7mm (+90 cc dv's), rack plug, 4k springs, afc mods, otherwise stock 180 pump with 304k miles...

It actually lost power on the top end with the 7mm dvs over my 055 (+30cc) towing dvs. So I've definitely got fuel lift pump pressure problems. Going to install a clean filter after I burn through this tank of WMO/mixed fuel and possibly perform some mods to the stock mechanical lift pump to increase upper rpm efficiency.

As far as bogging on the 2-3 gear shift, these older 47re's are terrible for short shifting when lock-up is engaged. I don't know how to fix it other than and external controller or manually shifting it and making modifications to allow lockup in manual 2nd gear.

Back