Index a Holset HE351VE Turbo Actuator

crickets.gif

So I did a preliminary check with a spare actuator I had and the actuator does as described in the video. (The actuator spins around to position)

Later this week, i'll drain the coolant and try to sync the vain and the actuator. If this is a waste of time, please stop me......

At the dealership when you hook up wiitech it actually has a vein aligning process when you remove the actuator, theres a sequence to realigning it.

My dealerships...the 2 I called, acted like I was speaking in Tongues...One of them said that it is set from the factory. I'm going to try this, and hope for the best.

IIRC, there's a hole in both the arm and the body, which is used to align the vane's arm to the body, from there I'm not sure.

I've also been told that when you key on the ignition, it cycles the vanes all the way in, then all the way out, then to a set position, which I believe correlates to the hole alignment, but don't quote me on this!

Mark.

On the actuators I've replaced you have to plug them in before putting them on the turbo then run the installation procedure in insite to index the actuator, then you install it on the turbo and run a calibration procedure in insite.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

So it sounds like I have to use the INSight software to Calibrate it?

Talked to a guy who knows these trucks and HE indicated that all the diagnostic cycle does is run the controller to find limits on the vane's arm (lock to lock resistance) and sets the limits that way.
He indicated that the codes he runs across the most, if the actuator is actually good, is one that states "exceeds learning limits", which is more of an indicator of wear, than anything.

From this I gather that the DODGE version is self learning, but he did indicate that it's a good practice to align the holes prior to re-installing.

Mark.

Cool, Thanks Mark!

I think I'll try it tonight and pray for the best...If Not I have made contact with a guy with the Insight software....We'll see?

Cool, Thanks Mark!

I think I'll try it tonight and pray for the best...If Not I have made contact with a guy with the Insight software....We'll see?

Should work using the key trick.
FWIW, Insite is of no help on a Dodge turbo. We have had luck with the key cycle. Not 100% though. More like 80%.

Why did you put another stock turbo on your truck is a better question? Glad it is fixed Phil!

Got it fixed! I had a bad actuator. Good thing I had a Spare! :woohoo:

To Index:
  1. Open Beer take drink
  2. Drain Coolant
  3. Finish 1st beer while waiting. Open 2nd Beer.
  4. Remove the Actuator(I pulled the inter fender out, made access a Breeze)
  5. Take selfie and post to FB so your followers will think you actually know what you're doing.
  6. Take a drink of Beer.
  7. Turn Key on, Actuator Should Spin 360 Deg. Leave Key on!
  8. Position the lever towards the exhaust side there is a hole in the lever line it up with the one behind it.

turbo%201_zpsjwyi33nt.jpg
  9. Take another drink of Beer, you have to be getting thirsty.
  10. Put actuator Back on, Make sure the key stays on during this process.
  11. At this point I cleared the P003A Code and started the truck to make sure all was well.
  12. Put the coolant back in.
  13. Finish Beer while putting coolant back in.

Thanks to Mark and Jeff for Confirming the process!:Cheer: I drank a 3rd beer in your honor!

Glad it woked out for you.

I had a beer to-night, not an unheard of occurrence, but an unusual one, so I guess, in a way, I celebrated your success. :cool:

Mark.

Got it fixed! I had a bad actuator. Good thing I had a Spare! :woohoo:

Thanks to Mark and Jeff for Confirming the process!:Cheer: I drank a 3rd beer in your honor!

Glad it woked out for you.

I had a beer to-night, not an unheard of occurrence, but an unusual one, so I guess, in a way, I celebrated your success. :cool:

Mark.

You know I'm in for a beer...or three. :)

Back