Injector diagnosis needed

OT-OF-Here

Owner of the Black Beach
Pls review these symptoms:

At start up, everything is perfect.

After about 5 miles a knock develops and continually gets louder and sounds exactly like a gasser with a bad lifter or rocker way out of adjustment.

The dealer says it is due to #6 injector. He also said this is a frequent problem (I'm guessing he means on a modded truck) and it always is #6 and sometimes, but rarely, progresses to other injectors.

I never heard of this on the forums. What the heck is the issue causing this.

Tks for any input on this.

Apparently

Pls review these symptoms:

At start up, everything is perfect.

After about 5 miles a knock develops and continually gets louder and sounds exactly like a gasser with a bad lifter or rocker way out of adjustment.

The dealer says it is due to #6 injector. He also said this is a frequent problem (I'm guessing he means on a modded truck) and it always is #6 and sometimes, but rarely, progresses to other injectors.

I never heard of this on the forums. What the heck is the issue causing this.

Tks for any input on this.

I'm not the only one who never heard of this issue!?

Modded tips

stock or modified injectors?

They are modded EH tips. I don't see this as a tip problem as the truck doesn't run worse but better, ........as in NO knock when you throttle down on it. It is a light throttle problem. A cracked tip would get worse if it were bad so I'm then thinking would a solenoid do this if it were not firing the injector at lower power levels? Or any other input you or others may have. I don't know the answer which is why I am searching for clarity.

Tks for your help.

Last edited:
There are some great folks on this forum

They are modded EH tips. I don't see this as a tip problem as the truck doesn't run worse but better, ........as in NO knock when you throttle down on it. It is a light throttle problem. A cracked tip would get worse if it were bad so I'm then thinking would a solenoid do this if it were not firing the injector at lower power levels? Or any other input you or others may have. I don't know the answer which is why I am searching for clarity.

Tks for your help.

Jeff at Mumau Diesel is sending a tip to EH and they are matching it to my set just in case the tip is cracked but Jim at EH said he has NOT seen a cracked tip on a EH tip. Either way my arse is covered as they are getting me a new one done that Jeff at Mumau is providing and then Jeff is going to ck the rest of the injector body & solenoid out to be sure everything is good but I suspect the solenoid is junk and he will change that out for me. And as it happens I have another set of sticks for my truck which are perfect that the new tip will be installed on and then she should be back on the road. How can you beat that service,... great guys!!

What I did to resolve my issue

I replaced both the tip and the injector body. The problem is gone! I suspect the solenoid is the issue and Mumau is cking that out for me. Also EH will be cking the tip, but it is highly unlikely that this is the problem since when I would give it MORE throttle the knock was gone!! It should have gotten worse if it had been the tip,... at least that's the way I see it.

Another result of the fix I wanted to share is that my idle egt temp or running egt temp are both less!!!! As in 150* to 200* less. That's significant and I am very pleased to see that.

Back