Injector pintle modification?

98andahalf

does anyone have any experience with machining their own pintle (needle) guides down in order to achieve more lift?

I have done it before. Try to hold the lengths as close as possible

what tends to be the max able to be machined off? is there a hp estimation for different amounts of machining? How much have your guys personally machined off and how much a difference did it make?

what tends to be the max able to be machined off? is there a hp estimation for different amounts of machining? How much have your guys personally machined off and how much a difference did it make?

My guess is 5-15hp for every .010 lift I would stay below .025 as you can run into needle steer issues. Taking some off the end of the pintle (Sac Volume) will help as well. The key is making each one the same down to .0000001.....lol

He doesn't like pm's. He actually has to answer questions with answers instead of riddles. LOL

Funny Tyler, I average 20 PM's a day with people's questions, I have already sent a message to aer212 stating that I may have missed it. Why don't you answer the posed question?

Your a fan of telling people to search aren't you Tyler? I searched for the keyword pintle under my username and came up with 23 threads. The following information was in one of those threads, tell me where the riddle is.

I would like to thank Rick Cooper(Timebomb) for testing a few nozzles to find the following;

5x0.018" VCO nozzle
stock pintle - 3.0LPM
0.015" needle end - 3.3LPM
0.015" collar end - 3.5LPM

5x0.012" Micro-blind
stock pintle - 2.2LPM
0.015" needle end - 2.3LPM

These numbers show that all of those that have said in the past that pintle work is a waste of time, obviously make assumptions not backed by facts.

Its called a joke hence the LOL after the comment. If I had been serious the LOL would have been MIA.

what tends to be the max able to be machined off?

Stock needle lift often runs in the 0.009-0.012" area, I don't like to see overall needle lift surpass 0.025-0.028".

is there a hp estimation for different amounts of machining?

No. There are too many variables to be taken into account to even begin to form a standard measure. Hole size, count, nozzle type, sac volume, and pintle style all play into this.

How much have your guys personally machined off and how much a difference did it make?

5x0.014" VCO nozzle 0.040" total needle lift. If any more than 0.015" was removed from the tip end the throttling of the needle would be lost. You pass a point of no return in certain areas, where the duration becomes too long, and the atomization drops off.

I understand Rick, your guesstimation is probably accurate, but you know as well as I do, stranger things have happened.

Back