Injector Rattle

oh wait a minute... what's this, a misspelling

that would be " squirrel " the correct spelling of this term :)

I'm good so, as long as you can make it to the track without blowing up ( LOL did I say that out loud ).... will have a go at it... I'm not playing with the same squirrel anymore either

Hell, everyone knows I'm a dumbas$ that can't spell... I claim that myself!! '
bif

LOL Yeah, I'll try to make it to the track...lol

Your Squirrel needs to go on a diet to beat mine Son!! Yours might need some *nx*

lol

Your Squirrel needs to go on a diet to beat mine Son!! Yours might need some *nx*

lol

that's the second time you've called me son and I'm several years older than you :poke: You're right, I couldn't beat your truck now but, since you aren't installing a cage, it looks like you're in the QD classes with me.... :badidea: LOL

we've destroyed the OP's thread now :doh:

sorry dude, the rattle can be many different things. Finding it is a process of elimination. You may come to find it's just something you truck does.

LOL

Yeah, I was just about to appoigize to the OP myself!!!

Sorry Dude!! We'll get back on track!!

i appreciate your responses guys, it seems like it's the nature of the beast, the truck does rattle with stock software but not nearly as bad. What interests me is that sometimes it won't rattle for a few seconds and i get a glimpse of how quiet my truck used to be:lolly:. But if it's nothing to worry about thats a good sign. All the symptoms are the same though. Rattle like a mother until boost and rpm's come up then it's gone like a banshee. It doesn't seem like it's low on power or anything. Truck is faster than it should go haha:woohoo:. Just another question any idea why i may get a popping sound and white smoke out the exhaust when accelerating? It's completely random and doesn't do it all the time, actualyl hasn't done it for quite some time

i appreciate your responses guys, it seems like it's the nature of the beast, the truck does rattle with stock software but not nearly as bad. What interests me is that sometimes it won't rattle for a few seconds and i get a glimpse of how quiet my truck used to be:lolly:. But if it's nothing to worry about thats a good sign. All the symptoms are the same though. Rattle like a mother until boost and rpm's come up then it's gone like a banshee. It doesn't seem like it's low on power or anything. Truck is faster than it should go haha:woohoo:. Just another question any idea why i may get a popping sound and white smoke out the exhaust when accelerating? It's completely random and doesn't do it all the time, actualyl hasn't done it for quite some time

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you have a FASS..

Not sure on the pop and puff thing...

Mine rattles hard too, about half throttle or so and seems to stay in the "rattle range" a long time when towing my 5'er. Just went 170 miles towing it today and it got to be bothersome.
The odd key is my engine is stock internally and only running the Triple Dog tuner in 'tow' or low setting. I watch EGT, boost, rail pressure when I hear it and it is very obvious and I can make it do it any time I want to and when pulling up a slight grade it is about 800-1000 EGT, 12-15 PSI boost and rail pressure moves around between 18000 and 21000 depending on pedal pressure (small moves make the pressure tip up and down at that level since it is just about the "take off and go" point, but not quite. Probably about 60-70% throttle, but I don't have a readout on that so it's just a guess at "foot position". I can make it go away if I back off just a hair or push down a bit more. It does not seem to be a pressure deal, I can push it on up to 24000 PSI with a little more throttle input and it may still do it and I think it is more of a timing knocking than injector pressure noise. Just food for thought. Empty it is still there but is gone quickly since I don't stay at that throttle position as long.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you have a FASS..

Not sure on the pop and puff thing...

yeah fordassasin had it too and he couldn't figure it out so do a few other guys, but i'm not too worried about it. I'm really happy with the truck it pulls great, can't wait to get it on a dyno and see what it will do. The rattle is just annoying but i've already gotten used to it. I don't run a pressure box either. However i think i will upgrade my smarty programming and see if i can tinker with the settings and get the rattle quieted down. whats funny is my buddies 04.5( the truck the nozzles came from) had the exact same setup as me (90's, arson III, fass, smarty) and it never rattled as bad as mine does. He was running the smarty revo tuning though

Mine does it at partial throttle. Once I get some boost it goes away. Smarty revo or TNT does not matter. H2 cam, Flux 2's, Smarty, Airdog.

Mine is an 04.5 and has it also. I noticed it more since I can only get ULSD.... LSD only did it when it was real cold outside. Stock sticks at the moment.

Well Ty and David I don't know what I did right by my truck has some good go-fast parts as well (almost the same as yalls) and I have ZERO rattle. :poke: :evil

that's too bad... it's good for at least 50hp :poke: LOL

I had ddp nozzles in mine also for a short time and had the rattle took them out and went with another brand no more issues, im not trying to bash either just stating what happened

Well Ty and David I don't know what I did right by my truck has some good go-fast parts as well (almost the same as yalls) and I have ZERO rattle. :poke: :evil

Yours is stock compression right?
Ty and I are slightly decompressed...My old motor that was a good bit decompressed was Way worse with the rattle..

Not sure it's the only problem cause several stockers do it too...but it does agravate it.

I think Sam an I have you a little scared though:lolly:

I'm just gonna go ahead and add my truck to the list Swole...

Let it be known from hear on out that my truck is now THE INTERCEPTOR NIGHTMARE III!!!!! I'm gonna row this bad boy down the quarter mile so fast you won't know what happened!!!:woohoo:

NOT....:umno:

Sorry to OP, I'm just messin' with Swole, Triton and Slowgo

Last edited:
that's too bad... it's good for at least 50hp :poke: LOL

Jealousy kicking in... :poke:

jk :Cheer: Ty did you decide if you and the family are coming down to Texas in October for NADM?

Yours is stock compression right?
Ty and I are slightly decompressed...My old motor that was a good bit decompressed was Way worse with the rattle..

Not sure it's the only problem cause several stockers do it too...but it does agravate it.

Yes David mine was returned to stock specs during the rebuild. If my truck does have the rattle I must not even notice it. After watching the video posted up and a few others if I have it then it is not nearly as noticeable as Ty's. The front of my truck is pretty darn quiet. :shake:

I had ddp nozzles in mine also for a short time and had the rattle took them out and went with another brand no more issues, im not trying to bash either just stating what happened

That would be something to look into but, we all have different injectors. I even tried a set of brand new Scheids lightning injectors with no luck.

Ty did you decide if you and the family are coming down to Texas in October for NADM?

Looks highly unlikely but, it's still a couple months away. I'd sure like too

I think I am having the same sound as you guys.
I only hear it once the engine is completely warmed up, from idle to about 1500 rpm. It is sort of a high pitched metal tapping sound.
It runs real smooth and starts easy, no smoke without a programmer.
You can hear it in the video from the passenger wheel well and under the truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdl8G9dh2ow&feature=player_embedded

Yours is probably gonnna be more of the old CP3 gear lash issue...
Nothing to worry about there.

This rattle / clatter / ticking that we're talking about only occurs under load at low rpm / low boost and then goes away or lessons significantly once we get to around 5 - 10 psi of boost...

Back