Injector tips stuck open... A common problem?

pete6030

Ok guys so ive got the truck in my sig. dynoed in at 375 / 660 had a set of stock bodies with ddp 140 tips, took those out bought a set of used 5x.016 with .030" lift built by smokem, didnt like what they were doing so i sent them off with my pump and the pump shop found 2 pintles stuck open, pop tested my original 140's today and 3 of those were stuck open, so what im wondering is does this kind of thing happen to lots of you guys of am i doing somthing wrong?
thanks
-max

How are they determining the pintals are sticking open.

well on the ones i pop tested myself they built no pressure and had no chatter just dribbled, the two they sent back from the pump shop i cant get the inside needle to move

I find it odd that you have 2 sets of injectors from 2 different builders doing the same thing. May want to take a look at your fuel system. Like the filters to make sure your not getting water or dirt to the injectors

yes i need to put another filter on that engine i dont think that little stock fiter is really doing the job thanks for the advice

May I ask which one are stuck and you can't pull the pintals out of? DDP's?

Last edited:
i have not dissassembled the ddps, the smokems were the only ones ive tried, not saying anything bad about them at all though, i love them now that they are open

Just to clarify, the 5x0.016" do not have 0.030" lift, any needle modifications done are on a case to case basis to suit the application.

ok i was miss informed when buying them then, so im guessing my problem is dirt then for the tips?

It is hard to say without seeing them, that set has been around for some time. Dirt is rarely a cause in an instance such as this, water or rust is far more likely, best bet is to clean the entire system to prevent future issues.

ok sounds like a good idea, do you recomend any type of additive for lubricty?

Back