injector washers

nolls96

i have a 96 with a .020 oversized headgasket.. when i installed my new injectors i installed them with stock thickness injector washers.. i want to install thinner washers on the injectors to correct the spray angle..

are there any tricks to taking the old washers off the injectors or do they come off relatively easy?

i'm also bumping up my timing from 17* to 20* so if anyone with experience or a similar set up wants to recommend anything i'm all ears..

From what Chris at SDX told me with a .020 gasket and stock washers it should be like running 2* more timing already. So you should be at 19* with the thick washers.

The washers should be easy to remove. If they stay in the bore get a small long skinny screw driver or pic to work them up and out.

From what Chris at SDX told me with a .020 gasket and stock washers it should be like running 2* more timing already. So you should be at 19* with the thick washers.

Injector height doesn't change the timing. What he most likely meant is it is like running 2 more degrees timing compared to thinner washers, when talking about the fuel hitting inside the bowl of the piston. The higher the injector, the less timing you can run and keep it in the bowl.

Injector height doesn't change the timing. What he most likely meant is it is like running 2 more degrees timing compared to thinner washers, when talking about the fuel hitting inside the bowl of the piston. The higher the injector, the less timing you can run and keep it in the bowl.

I know.

Last edited:
You are going to be spraying out of the bowl if you increase the timing any more. Will haze at idle, but if you don't mind that go for it. Putting in thin washers will help if you have thick ones now. You could then bump it up to 19*.

Back