Injectors or cp3 going out?

SixOhh

EPA unfriendly
2005 5.9 all stock motor. fresh OEM turbo. no programming that i am aware of.
128k miles.

The problem =
Motor makes a faint but noticeable fueling knock, followed by a small amount of black or grey smoke (un burnt fuel). replaced the FCA with no change. scanner shows it idles at 7k psi and WOT is generally 20k psi under a load and it MIGHT touch 22k at times. when logging the Absolute rail pressure i see a instant drop in RP. literally a negative spike, then its right back to where the pressure should be. it always happens around 1500 rpms +/- 300 rpm's

it had a map sensor code, replaced the sensor and have yet to see a code come back.

here is a video. in the last 5 seconds of the video it does it 3 times in a row and you can hear it and see it very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq4KhxBsbQg

all injectors ohm out under 1 ohm. i know that is just a solenoid test and i am debating having them tested but i am on the fence weather its sticks or cp3.

the truck takes a little longer to start IMO (im about to load test the batteries) but the starter RPM speed sounds totally healthy. once you get past 2000 rpms i never see a problem and the idle is perfect.

am i loosing an injector or is the CP3 taking a dump on me. my Bosch scanner wont log FCA voltage and my EFI live wont help me on this year.

thanks-

Last edited:
It's an injector I had the same thing happen yesterday replaced the injectors and it's fixed! It's just one stuck open sporadically! that's why I changed the set out!

that's the way im leaning, but i just want to do everything i can to confirm its not the pump...

Took the sticks to M&D injection yesterday. Bosch certified facility.... about to find out the truth on these

Back