Injectors or Delivery Valves First

jcarrick

Hey guys,

Im new here so i will try to introduce myself and ask some questions at the same time. I have a 1973 Ford Crew Cab Longbed 4x4 that i put a 2gen 12v, nv4500, and 241dld in. The truck runs awesome and i have put around 5000 miles on it so far. Now its time to get a little more power out of it.

Recently i adjusted my boost elbow to where my truck now makes around 30-35psi. What im noticing is that at about 30psi i am running out of fuel. I think its time for some larger injectors or delivery valves. I have searched a lot for an answer on here, but didnt quite find anything that helped. Which do you think will be best for my fairly stock setup?

Just a little info. I plan on running an he351 soon and then doing twins with the 351 and an ht3b. So i would like to not have to upgrade either the injectors or delivery valves twice if i dont have to, you know?

Thanks!

-Jon

Do you have a gsk? I would do injectors before DVs but that's just me.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

Yes, i have a 3k GSK.

I believe it is a 160 pump. Maybe a 180, but i dont think so.

Injectors, gov spring before injectors though. Cheap for the drive ability it gives those ole motors.

DDually,
Basically the truck is used for towing trailers (some pretty big ones) and mild DD use. I not looking for anything to crazy, but probably around the 500hp range. Just a good tow/DD setup that is RELIABLE.
I will post pics later for sure!

BRE,
It already has a 3k gov spring kit in it.

DDually,
Basically the truck is used for towing trailers (some pretty big ones) and mild DD use. I not looking for anything to crazy, but probably around the 500hp range. Just a good tow/DD setup that is RELIABLE.
I will post pics later for sure!

BRE,
It already has a 3k gov spring kit in it.

Then step up to an injector if you please. Good 5x.012 maybe for now? From what I gathered that may not be enough down the road so either that or pull fuel back with bigger injectors. Not like it's a hard thing to do.

If it's a 180 or 215 pump alot of power can be had on stock injectors. I've made 65 lbs. of boost with a 351-ht60 on stock injectors and 215 pump with barrels racked afc mods and 100 plate. Putting a 160 pump back in it when I do one more head gasket. Looking for 50lbs. max and hoping to get there with stock injectors. i might put a 341 in place of the 351 for quicker spool.

Last edited:
If it's a 180 or 215 pump alot of power can be had on stock injectors. I've made 65 lbs. of boost with a 351-ht60 on stock injectors and 215 pump with barrels racked afc mods and 100 plate. Putting a 160 pump back in it when I do one more head gasket. Looking for 50lbs. max and hoping to get there with stock injectors. i might put a 341 in place of the 351 for quicker spool.

Ever heard of a wastegate?

What lift pump are you using? if you're doing a towing setup, consider the 7 hole injectors too. have you adjusted the pump to make sure its got full travel?

Right now it just has the stock cam powered lift pump. I didn't know that about 7 hole injectors. I'll look into those. What size 7 holes would be good? I have not done the AFC mod for full travel yet. Does it help a lot? I also have a Mack rack plug that I haven't installed yet.

Right now it just has the stock cam powered lift pump. I didn't know that about 7 hole injectors. I'll look into those. What size 7 holes would be good? I have not done the AFC mod for full travel yet. Does it help a lot? I also have a Mack rack plug that I haven't installed yet.

Holy crap! Yes do the AFC mods! You will be amazed at the difference. Do you have a FP gauge? That will help to figure out if you are actually running out of fuel. My guess is that you aren't, the AFC is cutting it back because it hasn't been tuned. Before you install the rack plug, get us the CPL#. It's on a tag on the left side of the gear housing, near the IP. Lets figure out what we are working on first.

I agree w/ 12vf250, 1st thing I did was run plate all the way fwd and add rack cap. Don't know how new the pump is but a new OFV is not a bad thing.

I was curious as to what inj to run as well and I decided on 5x.014 VCO's from CPP...I'll be running a Fat Shat 62 w/ an s475...I started a thread about a month ago and some of the same guys responded and pointed me in the right direction.

Injectors first if you have the money. Then change dv's later when you get a bigger turbo.

There are more than a few people cutting delivery valves for cheaper than 200 bucks on this site.

Holy crap! Yes do the AFC mods! You will be amazed at the difference. Do you have a FP gauge? That will help to figure out if you are actually running out of fuel. My guess is that you aren't, the AFC is cutting it back because it hasn't been tuned. Before you install the rack plug, get us the CPL#. It's on a tag on the left side of the gear housing, near the IP. Lets figure out what we are working on first.

My plate and afc are already all the way forward. Is this the mod you are talking about doing?

afc mods (lots of pics) - DieselRam.com

I will get the CPL for you guys tomorrow, but im 95% sure its a 160 pump

Back