Intake threaded hold down in head breaks off!

dangerous06

diesel tech
Has anyone seen this happen and is there a repair? The intake plate bolts to mounting tabs in the head. I had a 6.7 break off one of these tabs it fell into the intake got sucked into #6 cylinder Bounced around wedged in the exhaust valve stamped the piston went out the exhaust blew up the turbo engine toasted might have damaged the rod bearing too! Just real weird to see this happen from the factory! 60k on the motor never been open or messed with!

I have seen it happen before. I find it hard to believe it broke off without having the bolt out. The two I seen it happen on we're from over tightening.

Seems it must have broke then over time unscrewed itself! That's why it took 60k real bummer to lose a motor like that! How do blame the manufacturer?? Is there a way to fix it weld a new tab and drill and tap or is it a total loss?

Last edited:
The one I am talking about was on my personal truck. I was in a hurry, had a buddy helping me...somehow the bolt hole got messed up so I tapped it and about 5 k miles later I had the failure your talking about. So I don't believe tapping it is a good fix because it leaves that small area even smaller and more likely to break off...I would say it's a head to mill off the plenum with.

Back