interchangeable parts

dieselmania

Hey guys, wandering if anyone chould give me some info on interchanging parts on the 5.9 cummins and 5.9 John Deer i.e. fuel related. I work at a military maintenance facility, where I rebuild drive line parts i.e. 3116 & 3126 Cats, 5.9 cummins and 5.9 John Deer engines; 5 ton axles, hummer transfers; i've read in past mags about someone running John Deer injectors in a 12v cummins, I never even thought of changing parts till I read that. I can't do anything like that at work but was wandering if anyone has done this and can you enlighten me on that subject. Also I just read something about someone used the injector pump and injectors off a John Deer and put on a 5.9 12v cummins, not sure if they used it off a 5.9 John Deer or what, of course the ideal is more fuel/more power. Is this a hard change and how much more fuel? Why the change? Is it less costly? Or maybe it was lying around and someone said, "lets try this". What's up!!!!!!

A 5.9 JD engine was used strictly in the industrail equipment, and more recently JD used it in tractor repowers, but it only is a rotary pump setup with JD style pencil injectors, not interchangable with a 5.9 cummins app. But some newer apps. like a JD 8.1L do run a P-3000 series pump with a similar looking bosch injector but now sure if it will interchange, let alone the firing order of the pump.

for the military, they are used to run generators; side by side, looks like the pumps wood fit, they are mounted on the same side, not so sure about the hole pattern and not sure about the injectors but I do know that it will only work on the 12v.

I guy I know uses JD injectors in his Case pulling tractor. They have to get the head machined for them to work. The only reason they do it is because their pump guy only works on JD pumps and injectors.

Ok! I found out a little on replacing the injectors on the cummins 12v with JD injectors and also the pump with JD pump. I was told that these parts are from a larger JD engine and that you would possibly have to do some mods to make it work. My question is, "how and why"? What's the advantage and cost of this change? What's up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back