Intercooler boots?

I've run BD boots to over 100 psi. Had one pop off once because the clamp was loose. And they are not a huge PITA to install that I've heard that the thicker/stiffer ones are.

I've blown holes in the silicone intake ones at 80psi but they are cheap so order a few, lol.
I have used them on my yellow truck at fifty psi for years and hope to use them when the conversion is done

I run peak. Havent had a issue yet, but kinda a pain to put on.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Ive had decent luck with the older pdr boots, peaks, or the ones from vulcan as well.. They all will blow eventually if you push em hard enough..

just bought a set of peak lowers, think I will get a piece of stick hose for the straights.

thanks for the input!

just bought a set of peak lowers, think I will get a piece of stick hose for the straights.

thanks for the input!

All the straights i get from oriellys its a blue outer with red inner comes in 3' joints but the stuff is as tough as it comes

SiliconeIntakes is a great company for cars. I was looking at them for my Audi, but I don't know if I'd go that route for a high boosting truck. The most my car would ever see was 28, and the bigger turbo guys push 40psi max. Not exactly the same ballpark as full sized diesels.

Under 80psi, you can snatch up coolant boots off of semi's. They seem to work really well for the price.

Lots of people like the Vulcan boots.

Then I think Mr. Bob can make custom boots that can be whatever ply you want with kevlar weaving.

Last edited:
Peak is what I run on mine as well they are a pain to install but seem to take the abuse.

Silicone Intakes Boots didn't hold up long term, even with extra duct tape and wire reinforcing.

On the lower pressure inner stage piping, they seemed to hold up for about a year or so at 40-45 psi.

TornBoot03.jpg

The reducers don't hold up at all under 60+ psi from a compound turbo setup:
BlownBoots1.jpg

BlownBoots2.jpg

The straight couplers held up the longest, but even they eventually failed:

BlownBoots4.jpg

Moral of the story, use stock boots with duct tape and wire reinforcing and double clamps, or spend $$$ and get some quality made high end aftermarket boots from somewhere like Mr. Bobs.

I really liked the peaks still use them in the straights I got new straight transition boots from a place called extreme psi online they are very high quality just as heavy as peak tough to get on but that's what you want

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I had bobs on an old truck. To short in my opinion. Maybe get them in longer lengths though.

I'm running DAP cheap vp boots. Boots don't seem bad. The clamps are another story. I'm using stock clamps with them. 55 psi.

Mandrel bending solutions sells boots that are about the same price as the silicone intakes ones but they have an extra layer and seem to be quite a bit stronger. Siliconeintakes is the all black one, Mandrel bending solutions are the black and red.

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/StoreFront

Attachments

• IMG_3284.jpg
    IMG_3284.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
Mandrel bending solutions sells boots that are about the same price as the silicone intakes ones but they have an extra layer and seem to be quite a bit stronger. Siliconeintakes is the all black one, Mandrel bending solutions are the black and red.

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/StoreFront

This boot that blew up is from Mandrel Bending Solutions. I will agree that it did hold up longer than the silicone intakes boot, but it too failed eventually.

BlownBoots2.jpg

Verocious Motorsports seems to have a few different products that hold up well. The key is to get boots with aramid fibers since they don't melt at 350* F which I believe is the cause of most of my failures. I have had very few boot failures on the cold side of the charge air cooler!!!

These boots have have held up really well on the straight connections:

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Category/Charged-Air-Cooler-Hose/Vibrant-High-Temp-Charge-Air-Cooler-Hose

I haven't tried their new line of boost proof couplers, but they look to be made with the right products right here in USA.

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Category/Silicone-Reducers/Silicone-Hose-Transitions-4-Ply-3-Long

The ones from Vulcan Performance have been used on a couple of my buddies trucks and held up just fine. 100+psi of boost too.

Back