Intercooler or not?

Power

My buddies that have rat rods like mine with 12v say that I don't need intercooler.. I have a ebay 25x12x3 universal for mine... Do I need it or not?

96 12V
Fully tuned pump
4k gsk
Delivery valves
Rack plug
Dual feed fuel line
Kdp timing
7x12 injectors
62/58/14 s300
Ported head, studs, etc

I'm moving to tx n a few months so the weather will be hotter. Rig is 3000 lbs, just used to hot rod.

More fuel = hotter egts.
A more efficient turbo can help cool, but pushing more air usually means compressing more, which means you generate more heat.

What does it spike EGTs to, as it is now?

Mark.

I haven't started yet... I'll be filling the fluids in the next wk and cranking it. I'm sure I can run without as there is a rat rod on here that has twins 700 us go and isn't running one... My little build can be without, however if that small intercooler I currently have works and doesn't restrict it then why not right?

You need to decide it you are going for maximum effort or not.

If you are just cruising and playing, no, it doesn't need it.

If you want to approach to top 20ish percent of what the engine can do for very long, it will improve longevity in that area of operation. Actually across the entire operation, but especially there.

I'll get some pics when I can figure out to post them from my phone... I doubt I'll be going for bleeding edge effort. I'm just trying to be safe and make it a reliable hot rod.

Without cab on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 0
We ran a 12 valve last season with no intercooler. Granted, the longest the throttle pedal ever stayed fully down was 10 or so seconds.

We run a 13mm pump with a single S400 series turbo. I figure its making in the neighborhood of 600HP.

We ran a big nitrous kit on it a few times with stock marine pistons.

We drive to town on and off. With normal street driving/cruising, egt's were never a factor.

So do I use a flat stack, miter cut stack or flat stack with tractor style rain cap on it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
single miter about half the way up the window in the back. 7-8". fukking thing is badass!

My fuel tank is mounted there... I was planning on just doing a 90* right after the turbo on the passenger side then up the pillar just about the roof. I recessed the firewall in that spot to get the exhaust ran in this direction.

Back