Intercooler re-core upgrade

TrailTamer

Hey guys, let's talk intercooler since I am well over due for a new intercooler. Mine leaks bad at where the tubes meets the lower part of passenger side tank near where the inlet is located. Lot of my boosted air get lost as soon as it enters the intercooler. I need this to be fixed so I can actually tune my pre-boost fueling. Right now it lights at 1500rpm. Anything below it'll never get above 10psi of boost.

I went to my local radiator shop which also do intercoolers to see if they can fix my intercooler. Unfortunately they said anytime the leak is at where the core meets the tank the only right way to fix it are either a full replacement or re-core. While I was there I asked what it'll cost to re-core with the upgraded tubes. They said it'll be around $750 to re-core my stock intercooler with the upgraded tubes as seen in the second pics.

What you see in the pics below, I can really tell the upgraded ones will offer much much better airflow, cools efficiently, will NOT balloons at extreme pressure, and there will be nothing like stock's "stuffed" tubes' stuffings to get bundled up toward the driver side of the intercooler from flowing bunch of CFM. Also not only that, having the stock intercooler re-cored means it'll be a 100% drop in replacement/upgrade, no piping or boots changes, trimming or whatever. I am sketchy about that ebay special intercooler ($550-ish?), and the good name brands are almost twice what the radiator shop will charge to re core my intercooler.

My truck is generally stock wise, but I fully plan on to grow via more fuel and air (turbo or turbos). I daily drive, haul, road trips, tows with my truck, then lastly play, pretty much work hard, play hard kind of truck. I'm sure the lowered EGT, less air flow restriction, more durable, and so on will benefit me all around. I want to ask y'all's input on this before I drop the coin on this. Thank guys.

CAC_stuffed_tubes.jpg
CAC_stuffed_tubes_closeup.jpg

Stock tubes

VS

CAC_BD_Int_tubes.jpg
CAC_BD_Int_tubes_closeup.jpg

Performance/upgrade tubes

Nothing? I'll have it dropped off my intercooler at the radiator shop soon.

At $750 I don't think so. Still the same stock end tanks and core area, and you have to have faith in their cuts and welds. Id look at on3 performance. A few guys with high hp trucks have been pushing them and seem fine.

Those 'performance' cores don't look efficient at all. And the fins on the inside don't bunch up at the end of the intercooler (drivers side) because they are put in long ways. They also have pushed out fins inside of them to create turbulent flow and promote heat transfer.

For $750, I'd save a bit more and either grab a nice aftermarket one, or (more likely if you're not pushing big-ish power) fine another OEM one that's used.

Or buy a Garrett core and have them toss that in your stock end caps considering Garrett is making the best stuff on the market right now.

Also On3 specializes in Mustang turbo charging. It's usually no more than 18psi, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't hold 75psi. Just letting you know where their market is.

On3 performance intercooler is the bar & plate type core.

I did some reading and I think I'll go with the extruded tube core. It's more durable and better air flow over the tubes than the bar & plate design.

Last edited:
I got a stock one I'll sell you cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back