Intermediate shafts

madmikeismad

So mad
I know a lot of people like to run stock, but some people like billet. I've heard billet's are brittle and prone to breaking instead of flexing like the stock shaft, but I was wondering..... There has to be a certain point where the intermediate shaft just isn't up to the task. Where is that point? What do you do about it if billet shafts will just break too?

I don't think billet is brittle, just harder and stronger.....it will not flex at all compared to the "weaker" stock intermediate shaft that may flex just a tax under pressure, and not break.....

Ran a stocker for a year with 450hp and doing many 30lbs boost launches. It did not break. After breaking the output I put a billet in it and never had a problem either. I have always heard that if the intermediate breaks you just about have to rebuild the whole tranny. If it were me I would put a billet in it.

There for a while a couple of certain builders were using a certain company for there shafts and were noticing some breakage and were hesitant to put billet shafts from their suppliers in. I know first hand from speaking with owners directly! I havent heard this in a while (but that holds no water just because I havent heard it)! I run a TCS (Arizona) Bilet Input and Intermediate. I opted to keep factory output for now for a fuse until I got trans setup correctly(valve body,shift enhancer,lockup controller) I like TCS (Arizona). Usa made and hellofa nice guys! Just ask Phil (D.P.C) and Jeff Garmon!

I just run a billet input and output and stock in the middle. 35 to 40# launches a ton of times and no problems yet. If it means anything I was told to run stock by a very highly respected trans shop.

Stock intermediate in my Goerend trans. Dave pretty much indicated six in one hand half dozen in the other regarding billet vs stock and due to the obvious cost difference persuaded me toward the stocker.

I have broken 6 intermidiate shafts tcsA x1, tcsC x2 , suncoast x1. I have broken 2 oem new shafts. The oem shafts seen to last longer for me then any others to date. I am trying out a new style shaft in the rail. I have had a 1 piece sonnax input and a suncoast output in the whole time all the other shafts broke. The trans has been changed over to a 2wd so im running a oem output at this moment. Thats my 2cents.

Last edited:
Stock intermediate in my Goerend trans. Dave pretty much indicated six in one hand half dozen in the other regarding billet vs stock and due to the obvious cost difference persuaded me toward the stocker.

This is what he told me as well. Knock on wood, he seems to be right so far.

I have been running stock Int. and output on the PS pushing 4 digit HP it has killed 3 billet inputs and 0 other shafts....

Noted.

What about guys running 1000hp+

My goal for new truck is as much power as possible. I'm still going to talk to Dave about it if he ever emails me back. I've also asked DTT and another place. They must all be busy as hell though, because no one has replied.

My goal for new truck is as much power as possible.

There isn't anyone out there that can build something to hold infinity horsepower. 800: sure, 1000: sure, 1500: sure. If you don't have a solid plan or very real goals and an application don't expect anyone to be able to build you what you want.
$.02

There isn't anyone out there that can build something to hold infinity horsepower. 800: sure, 1000: sure, 1500: sure. If you don't have a solid plan or very real goals and an application don't expect anyone to be able to build you what you want.
$.02

Alright. I got a thread going on the build itself, so I didn't care to get specific here. But I was shooting for 1000-1100 on fuel, and maybe 1400 with spray.

I'm just trying to get the basics covered before I start buying stuff. The motor I'm good for, its the trans I need help with.

It also depends very very very much on setup of valve body and converter lockup schedules

Back