Is it the head gasket? Please help diagnose.....

The "residue" on that #6 crossover tube is telling us something. I'm just not fluent in CRese....
Missing or damaged copper washer, or the bore in the head is scalloped, or both.
Loose/yielded injector hold down bolt.

Just guessing

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

True. He left it unsupervised, and shit went down. We are ungovernable.

Truer words have never been spoken. :hehe:

Looks like he's got down to the root of the cause thought....head gasket-n-shit.

Kinda hurt no one liked my Lego train engine.....

Missing or damaged copper washer, or the bore in the head is scalloped, or both.
Loose/yielded injector hold down bolt.

Just guessing

Definitely something like you described, the injector looked fine but gonna continue to do more investigation on that issue.
Luckily I'm getting a fresh cylinder head to put on, new injectors, tubes and a few other items. Should run a helluva lot better?gonna be a couple more weeks out till its done and running unfortunately with lead times

I did a modification that I believe will help eliminate my cooling issue along with the obvious head gasket. I found a fitting from Fleece that has a -10 AN male end then bought a 90° -10 AN then another-10 AN for push on hose. Then running hose from there to the turbo coolant line but gonna cut off the metal coolant tube just below the turbo coolant line banjo and plumb the hose to that completely eliminating the EGR coolant feed pipe which you don't even need anyway??

Attachments

• 20230502_135450.jpg
    20230502_135450.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230502_135507.jpg
    20230502_135507.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 0
I did a modification that I believe will help eliminate my cooling issue along with the obvious head gasket. I found a fitting from Fleece that has a -10 AN male end then bought a 90° -10 AN then another-10 AN for push on hose. Then running hose from there to the turbo coolant line but gonna cut off the metal coolant tube just below the turbo coolant line banjo and plumb the hose to that completely eliminating the EGR coolant feed pipe which you don't even need anyway??

how ya gonna burp it then?

I liked it buddy, sorry your feeling got hurt, but it'll grow back and you'll be stronger for it. :)
It's ok, it was small enough I probably didn't need it anyway.

how ya gonna burp it then?

The EGR cooler was the high point in the cooling system, thats why it had the vent point. Im not sure the new head gasket will appreciate the potentially reduced coolant flow though.

Last edited:
my coolers long gone..still the allen plug is highest point in mine..stock lines

The EGR cooler was the high point in the cooling system, thats why it had the vent point. Im not sure the new head gasket will appreciate the potentially reduced coolant flow though.

How do the older 12v, 24v and early common rail engines run with out that pipe? It is specifically there to feed the EGR cooler. The radiator is now the high point again just like in the older non-EGR models. Those plugs are there to feed accessories hence the one directly behind it feeding the heater core. It will run just fine like the older models do.

How do the older 12v, 24v and early common rail engines run with out that pipe? It is specifically there to feed the EGR cooler. The radiator is now the high point again just like in the older non-EGR models. Those plugs are there to feed accessories hence the one directly behind it feeding the heater core. It will run just fine like the older models do.

The older models did not have coolant passages between the cylinders that flowed up and into the head. Nor did they have as little material between the cylinders as the 6.7.
My experience with the 5.9 common rails MLS gasket has been very good, not so much the case with the 6.7.
If you closely inspect the inner layers (between 5&6) of your failed gasket, you might have a better understanding of why I believe coolant flow in the cylinder head is so critical in a 6.7.

The older models did not have coolant passages between the cylinders that flowed up and into the head. Nor did they have as little material between the cylinders as the 6.7.
My experience with the 5.9 common rails MLS gasket has been very good, not so much the case with the 6.7.
If you closely inspect the inner layers (between 5&6) of your failed gasket, you might have a better understanding of why I believe coolant flow in the cylinder head is so critical in a 6.7.

he knows all that...im not sure why he is even asking for advice anymore

I would have thought there are plenty of 6.7's out there without the pipe there. Someone swaping a 6.7 into an older 3rd gen or 2nd gen isn't going to swap that little pipe. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Just me over here with a 6.7 block and an undrilled 03 cylinder head ?

Back