is one 800cca battery enough to start it when warm out?

maddmudder13

for my mud truck i just want to use one battery. i just got the truck built and been trying to start it. i have one 800cca stock size battery and it cranks over real slow, its about 50 degrees out, and even when engine warmed up it wont restart without jumping it off the other truck. battery ends are not getting real hot, i had the starter smoking a few times at first startup when i cranked on it too long. ill just be running this truck in the summer for the most part. should it be cranking it over or think i toasted the starter?

i have an extra, ill throw it on and try it. first i thought it was the timing way advanced as the timing pin broke off and i guessed on the timing and had to way advanced

I wouldn't go any less than 1,000cca.....That's what mine is, and it barely turns over at 27 deg of timing.

I'm running a single Optima. I think it's around 850cca. It starts like a champ. Didn't have any problems at 35° temps

Sent from my paperweight.

I'm running a single Optima. I think it's around 850cca. It starts like a champ. Didn't have any problems at 35° temps

Sent from my paperweight.

I know of a couple guys running a single optima and they'll start even in the winter, one of them doesn't even have a grid. They're both ve trucks though...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I only run one 750 cca battery, truck starts everytime. I have yet to have a problem with it starting even in the 20* weather.

Hope this helps,
Rick

thanks for all the replies, changed the starter out and got the timing reset ( sheared the timing pin off tightening pump nut) and now it starts pretty good. i dont have a grid heater either. just stumbles when you rev it up cold. on my 92 its got one group 31 battery and no grid heater, it starts decent not plugged in.

Try rebuilding starter.

I have one 750 cca and it turns it over fine.

Do this.

Mine will start with one 800cca battery, even in cold weather, but it will turn over much faster with two, so I run two. I just like the way it sounds better. Plus I like the extra security.

No probs with optima here my last one lasted for 8 years so I don't know what would make u say that

I have used optimas and xs power in high compression gasser builds and find the xs batteries have a much better reserve capacity and hold charges longer than the optima. Same price range with comparable customer service.

Sent from the BooBoo Bus

One 750cca interstate started mine at 25* timing, all winter in north dakota with no block heater. Took a bit of work, but always started.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

No probs with optima here my last one lasted for 8 years so I don't know what would make u say that

i have owned one. and they warrantied it with the same problem. it would just randomly die, even if i drove the car every day of the week. a small 4 cylinder car does not take much to get started, but with zero amp draw, good connections and decent charging system, there is no reason for me to be stranded anywhere due to a crappy battery that wont start the car.
so, i yanked it out and and have been happy ever since.

xs Power All The Way! plus on their sponsor forum he has a coupon for grabs...

Back