Is there ANY EX-HO truck(dont care what pump) over 550 hp?

So would you say that the HO engine gave you a small disadvantage in HP? I did the math and cant seem to understand why the compression ratio would affect the HP. I dont think it does.

But someone on CF said that a guy with a monster pump on a HO only dyno'd 330?

there are dozens of other possibilities as to why its low but let me reassure you that HO vs SO motor has nothing to do with it.

i know of quite a few HO motors with over 550hp.

So would you say that the HO engine gave you a small disadvantage in HP? I did the math and cant seem to understand why the compression ratio would affect the HP. I dont think it does.

:hehe: 'nuff said! I can't see compression making a big difference in the 550-600 hp range...it definitely does when you go higher.

the piston bowl is bigger on a SO engine vs. an HO engine. 2mm difference I think. That's where the compression difference is found.

That makes sense. So are ya'll saying that it is simply a coincidence that HO engines with SO pumps dont make high hp? Is there something in the ECM or what?

Or have I just not seen many trucks with a SO pump on a HO and they just dont have the right setup?

Sorry. Meant to say 530hp...

the only thing "HO" on my truck anymore is the ECM.

Got different pistons (RV275) and a SO pump..and some other stuff.

the SO pump will make good power...my truck does ok for a daily driver..makes about 630 or so, and just over 1300 foot pounds...just barely respectable with today's standards

That makes sense. So are ya'll saying that it is simply a coincidence that HO engines with SO pumps dont make high hp? Is there something in the ECM or what?

Or have I just not seen many trucks with a SO pump on a HO and they just dont have the right setup?

no one said that a ho will not make power with a so pump. the 1 point in compression will not make much diff if anything it will make more power with slightly higher comp. if you have a 2,000 hp mod pulling truck them yes alot of mechanical compression is bad. but on a street engine or anything noe running excessive ammounts of boost it will not make that big of a deal.

the only thing "HO" on my truck anymore is the ECM.

Got different pistons (RV275) and a SO pump..and some other stuff.

the SO pump will make good power...my truck does ok for a daily driver..makes about 630 or so, and just over 1300 foot pounds...just barely respectable with today's standards

630 will still eat most vehicles on the street. Good numbers man

You are right, I meant to say, it is simply a coincidence that the HO engines I know of with SO pumps dont make high HP? I just want to know if it is a waste of time to put a SO on my truck. I am starting to think that half the ppl on CF have no idea what they are talking about.

HO piston
15335_222928070912_506865912_3662469_4391732_n.jpg

SO piston
15335_222928075912_506865912_3662470_8036982_n.jpg

You are right, I meant to say, it is simply a coincidence that the HO engines I know of with SO pumps dont make high HP? I just want to know if it is a waste of time to put a SO on my truck. I am starting to think that half the ppl on CF have no idea what they are talking about.
Just half? They must have gotten some more smart members since I left...

On a 550 to 600 HP cummins diesel motor, with all else being equal, a 17:1 compression motor will make slightly more horsepower than a 16.3:1 motor because higher compression motor's are more efficient, therefore make more power when all else is equal.

In all reality, the approximate 2.5cc difference wont be noticeable. The only real advantage of the SO piston is the wider bowl that allows a little bit more timing before fuel sprays outside the bowl.

Ok, so I have asked people on CF this question. But what will I need to break 600hp?

Will Mach 6's, SOVP, w/m, with a Special wastegated at 53psi do the trick?

Ok, so I have asked people on CF this question. But what will I need to break 600hp?

Will Mach 6's, SOVP, w/m, with a Special wastegated at 53psi do the trick?

probably not, you might be close but I would go for mach 7s and mayber a 66 of some variant!

I agree too... might be enough injector, but I would go with something in the 66mm size.

in many cases a 62 or 64mm will break 600hp before a 66mm charger. just going by what i've seen and experienced over the last 3 years.

you have to get the charger lit quick in order to hit 600hp...and 66's on 24v motor tend to fall just short. while they still perform well, on a dyno you will disappointed.

for what its worth i tried mach 7's with smarty, TST, and a silver bullet 66 and only hit 580...had it been a 62 or 64mm i think it would have cracked 600hp.

The 2002 HO that I had made 598hp with an SO pump, M6's, H2 cam, S300/S400 twins and a TST Comp.

Back