Is this normal for a stock truck?

rattlindodge

Got an 04 auto, supposed to be all stock,has egt guage. I hit 1200 degrees no problem , runs at about 900 normal, takes for ever to cool down to 300 when parked. It blows a little black smoke if you get on it hard, then mostly clears. Bought it from the original owners who where elderly, has shy of 80k on it. Also hazes at idle every once and a while with eratic idle.

I would pull the injectors and have then tested just to be safe. They could have picked up water in the fuel and messed up the injectors. Testing is cheap compared to a burnt piston

Since I have no garage door a dually fits into, I guess ill be working outside. Any specials tools needed? This is my first 3rd gen to work on. Luckly its only at freezing temps out side.

I wouldn't worry. Mine is completely stock and just as you describe.

I would check for a boost leak first...not familiar with 04 but wastegate?

My only concern would be the haze at idle an eratic idle it maybe nothing but if everything else checks out it wouldn't hurt. I would probably wait till it warms up if it were me

I would replace the fuel filter with a drop in 3 micron filter. Stock is 10 micron and who knows when it's been changed. Baldwin makes it. Not sure on the part number. Other than that I would wait until spring and have the injectors tested if it's the same or getting worse. If your oil level isn't rising your trucks probably fine.

Are you confusing the erratic idle with the grid heater cycling on and off? There will be a noticeable change in the idle when it cycles.

Changed fuel filter and was horrible, also got a quote from a local shop to test injectors at $50 each. Is this reasonable? Also the truck kinda smells funky, I would say the exhaust smells more yuppyish than a 12 valve? kinda like yuppies burn fake logs in their fireplace, you know those plastic logs.

Last edited:
Changed fuel filter and was horrible, also got a quote from a local shop to test injectors at $50 each. Is this reasonable? Also the truck kinda smells funky, I would say the exhaust smells more yuppyish than a 12 valve? kinda like yuppies burn fake logs in their fireplace, you know those plastic logs.

Yep, that's how the cat makes it smell. Mine smelled like that and I couldn't stand it. Was one reason I got a cat delete pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine's dad has an 04 that runs hot also. Nothing wrong with his, it has since new. Make sure you have the fuel filters changed and keep them changed. He did end up having to do injectors in his at 150k.

im assuming it's complete stock exhaust??? If so they'll smoke when you gouge on it. The reason (and this sounds stupid but it's true) the factory will soot up quickly. It's not a big deal and doesn't mean anything but at WOT the collected soot will be blown out the tail pipe and you'll think your truck "smokes" but it's not. It's just been built up.

When I originally got my 07 5.9 I thought something was wrong with it too. When I would get on the highway and jump on it, would smoke then clear up and if I kept doing that I would have less and less smoke. So, it seems silly at first. Like you're a total goober but it's the way it is.

im assuming it's complete stock exhaust??? If so they'll smoke when you gouge on it. The reason (and this sounds stupid but it's true) the factory will soot up quickly. It's not a big deal and doesn't mean anything but at WOT the collected soot will be blown out the tail pipe and you'll think your truck "smokes" but it's not. It's just been built up.

When I originally got my 07 5.9 I thought something was wrong with it too. When I would get on the highway and jump on it, would smoke then clear up and if I kept doing that I would have less and less smoke. So, it seems silly at first. Like you're a total goober but it's the way it is.

Completely same experience with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back