Is this normal?

99GreenCummins

That guy....
I am no rearend expert, pulled brake drum off today because of dragging e-brake and found this. Is this much play normal or do I have issues.

Thanks
[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-nFVTPA0E&feature=c4-feed-u"]Dodge rear axle. Normal? - YouTube[/ame]

nope, the hub bearings are probably a little loose, i would not hesitate to pull them off and check it out.

the axle supports nothing and only drives the hub.

Yep, pulled the axle and looks like bearings are slowly on the outs. Nut is a bit loose too. Going to tighten nut and send it too the shop cause I don't have time right now to get it done.

I just did this today, i.e., replaced wheel bearings. Manual calls for .001 of freeplay, so basically if you can move it and feel it by hand, it's not right.

FWIW I got about 90k miles out of just tightening the nut down a bit, has 240k on it now and they are still tight.

Normal to me. No abnormal play by any means. I think the nut was so far backed off it made it appear to be bad bearings. Before I removed the nut, there was barely any threads showing, after tightening there was 3 threads.

Back