Itercooler ??

1slo_CR

Hey guys, I am wondering when its a good time (hp wise) to upgrade the intercooler? Is it something that should be done after cai, exhaust, or downloader? Or is it something you wait to do later on the HP ladder...? What companies do you like? thanks

Im up to almost 800 and running 11.50's on a Stock 06 intercooler....

I'd say waist...I mean spend your money on Better things!!!!!

My .02

Ill second that, unless you tow constantly or are making over 80psi Id put money elsewhere.

Unless you have a intercooler with plastic tanks.

David can tell you about that LOL

Ill second that, unless you tow constantly or are making over 80psi Id put money elsewhere.

Unless you have a intercooler with plastic tanks.

David can tell you about that LOL

Yup!! rbell here on CompD had his plastic side cooler Split on the way to TS towing a big Camper!!!

I think all 06's have the metal coolers, so he should be good!!

Spend that money toward a Garmon's Diesel Performance Billet Tranny!!!!

I would have to disagree. The IC is a restriction once you're up in the higher HP range. I believe it's rated for around 80psi. Typically it's not good to run anything to it's max level. It will help lower your egt's as it does a much better job of cooling than a stocker and like I said will be less of a restriction.

Again Swole..... before you make these assumptions, you should put a bit more time on that motor. You may find you'll split yours, plastic tank or not. I've seen metal tanks cracked the same as plastic ones.

Yep a waste of money in my eyes I did one and it did not change a thing i.e (egt,performance,boost) all the same.The only thing that changed was my account balance.Spend the money on other go fast parts.

P.S I even had a metal tank one factory.:bang

X4 Waste of money. There are several guys makeing over 800hp on stock intercoolers.

Just be glad you don't have a plastic cap unit like I did. T-RASH!!! Thanks to Swole and Jeff Garmon I was still able to make it to TS. Llyod Mills hooked me up with a metal tank, thank God..

Swole thanks again for your help on that one.ROB

Ty, I didn't say it wasn't worth doing at all!! I just mean since he seems to just be starting out, That there's FAR greater things he could spend the hard earned C'notes on!!!

I'd love to have a Sperco or Something equivalent!! Its just the $1200+ dollars I'm having trouble with right now....

Plus, I've had more trouble with my Damn new top Turbo holding boost/drive pressure than my stock IC!!! LOL

Yea i didn't notice much either. But they look badazz through the grill.

I know what you mean but you know what they say?

Function before fashion...lol

I still want one but like Swole said $1300 OUCH

Big Swole, I dont have an auto... Unless they are building billet g56's?? and yes mine has the metal end tanks..
The idea came up in conversation and I really wasnt sure when it was needed/suggested.. I have been looking into water/meth for towing also. What do you guys think is a "to low" of egt. Meaning, 1350(+) begining to get to hot. xxx(-) begining to get to cool?

Big Swole, I dont have an auto... Unless they are building billet g56's?? and yes mine has the metal end tanks..
The idea came up in conversation and I really wasnt sure when it was needed/suggested.. I have been looking into water/meth for towing also. What do you guys think is a "to low" of egt. Meaning, 1350(+) begining to get to hot. xxx(-) begining to get to cool?

Thought you may have an auto...sorry..

Water/Meth is something I would stay the HE!! away from....Not Good....There's a member on here that is on his 3rd CR motor from using Meth.......Water only..Maybe!!!!......Of course he was in a High HP range...

Don't take my word for it...ask around....

Really, water injection & common rails are an excellent combination - like anything else, though, too much of a good thing is ugly.

I still have a stock intercooler, running around 65-70 pounds, at over 800hp. I'm just going to run it till it breaks. Then decide if the 1300 bucks is worth it.

Ever measure your intake temperatures?

I never measured mine before IC, but after I added mine and doubled the boost I was very happy with my intake air temperature.

There is a point where an aftermarket IC makes sense. Budget and HP are big factors in that, and those factors are highly subjective.

A good aftermarket one will increase volumetric efficiency in your setup. That is a fact. How much that nets you on the track or dyno depends largely on how much you are pushing your stock components. $.02

Ahh, it works fine for what I do with the truck. Besides I need a rollbar before I can make the truck go any faster, that's not going to happen any time soon. I haven't measured the IAT's but after making a pass I can't hardly touch the turbo inlet side, but is almost cool to the touch on the manifold outlet side. But don't get me wrong, I am sure an aftermarket one is better than stock, just not enough for me to spend the money on one.

Back