J-jets and main journal piston cooling nozzles?

Smokin ACE

1st gen turbo tester
Building my 06 motor and debating what I want to do for piston cooling nozzles. I've done some research and I'm going to be running the J-jets that bolt in the block for sure since they spray into the holes in the piston and cool them better from what I've read. But I've heard of guys running the piston cooling nozzles in the main journals as well to help cool the pistons. Some say that if I do that then the oil pressure will be too low and that the oil pump won't keep up. Others say your better off with more oil getting to the pistons especially if towing.

The engine kit I have has neither plugs nor jets so I'm trying to decide which way to go. I have some white smaller hole and shorter piston cooling nozzles out of a 12 valve kit I got a while back I was debating on putting in. Or do I just put plugs in and run it with J-jets? Anyone got part numbers for the blue plugs or the nozzles I will want? Motor will be mildly built with coated pistons and will be used for towing, daily driving and may hook to the sled a few times. Any input is appreciated.

I've ran with both. the jets and off the mains at the same time. Never saw a drop in oil psi.

Last edited:
Same boat. Do I pop the blue plugs out and run the J-jets together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would assume using both would
A: drop oil pressure at idle too far
B: the oil squirting on the underside of the piston where it doesn't belong would create some sort of parasitic drag. Like (.003/hp loss)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back